Anorexic approx 2mo with failure to thrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Praise the Lord!!! :blob5:

Strax just ate 5 small Phoenix worms all by himself!!! At first he didn't seem interested, then gave the head tilt, then that intense, straight on, double-eyed stare I'm sure you are all familiar with, then bam! It was gone! He took his time with the other 4, but he eventually went after them. Tried one more, but he had lost interest.

I still gave him the Repti-Boost, and he took 0.5 cc, which is quite a bit considering the 5 BSF larva he had just eaten. No forcing that at all. I am trusting the forced feeding days are behind us.

He was fairly active afterwards and had bursts of speed I've NEVER seen in him before then. It was rather alarming (and scary cuz I didn't want him skittering off the countertop to the floor).

His tail is essentially completely filled in while his pelvic bones are much less apparent. It is amazing the recovery he has shown in just that past several days.

We then brought him over to the table for lunch. He did his vertical thing! HAHA!

1150333_393745747392459_1412852811_n.jpg

1157509_393745840725783_537417062_n.jpg

He stayed that way for a quite while holding my drink hostage. Finally he slid off, and I could drink, but only half way through the meal.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's GREAT that he ate 5 phoenix worms by himself. :headbang: You must have all been thrilled! :D Love to see the head tilt and then the stare and then watch them grab them. :mrgreen: Such a treat to watch especially when they hadn't been eating on their own. Hopefully he will eat at least one on his own daily now.

Great that he took that much of the boost besides. Sure seems like the forced feeding is behind you. :p

Babies sure can move very fast when they want too. I know what you mean, makes you afraid that they're gonna jump or fall very quickly before someone can grab them in time.

I can see that his tail is filling in nicely. He sure has made some great achievements in just a weeks time.

So cute the way he hugged your drink container. :lol: Babies like to be vertical sometimes after eating as it helps the food go down easier. He is just SO sweet.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":1jmwm2o7 said:
So cute the way he hugged your drink container. :lol: Babies like to be vertical sometimes after eating as it helps the food go down easier. He is just SO sweet.

I wondered why they did that. Thanks for sharing that tidbit of info. Makes sense.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes and sometimes you will see them snuggled up to the glass in an upright position sound asleep too. Sure doesn't look comfortable though.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have seen that in his viv, too. Looking back on it, I thought he was just surfing with the red light as he only did it at night and would go to sleep. I thought he just wore himself out from that! Of course we don't use that nasty red light anymore.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Babies have a kink in their digestive system as as they grow older, it straightens out. So that's why it's easier for them to get impactions and why we always suggest offering certain sized feeders and to not use mealworms due to their chitin shell.

I know you don't use the red light anymore. :wink: You've made great changes and look how well he is doing. :D

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Well, it sounds like you have a formerly anorexic approx. 3 month old who is beginning to thrive quite nicely, thank you. Joyous news. :blob8:

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Strax did great again today!

First, he sure seems to like this cactus. He is in it so often now. He did it before, but never this much.

1146723_394038800696487_567952998_n.jpg

Secondly, he at 10 or 11 Phoenix worms (I lost track right at the end). Plus, he ate a 1/2 days worth of his boost supplement. Great job, Strax!!! Look at how rounded his belly is!!! Sorry it is a bit blurry. I took another less blurry, but he had raised up a bit and his belly doesn't appear as rounded.

1002333_394039737363060_586943710_n.jpg

Sweet thing got a little more tired today after eating. He is just laying down closing his eyes while laying on my chest right now as I type. If there is a noise in the ferret cage or something, he'll open his eyes for a sec, then go back to sleep. I'll take him to bask in a bit.

We are going camping very close the next couple of days. We are taking Strax with us, since don't want to come back at least twice a day, but will be coming back once a day for the other herps.

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Esther19":2zmzbdn3 said:
Well, it sounds like you have a formerly anorexic approx. 3 month old who is beginning to thrive quite nicely, thank you. Joyous news. :blob8:

It sure sounds that way. I am trusting the worst is behind him. Now it will be on to supplements for liver detox, immune boosting, and infection prevention.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He sure LOVES his cactus. :D That picture is just precious.

Wow, he sure ate well today. :blob5: :p :blob8: Can definitely see that nice round belly and I can see that he is starting to get fat stores on the top of his head AND his tail is filling in nicely. AWESOME job for all of you!

Hope he handles the camping trip well. You'll have to let us know how that goes. Hope you all have a great time.

Thanks for the absolutely wonderful updates. :wink:

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I have news on Praxis, who is getting so big I thought, "Hmm, wonder if she's sexable?" Krista held her while I lifted her tail indignantly. Well, it is official. We can no longer call Praxis "she" as Praxis is unquestionable a HE. I've always said I didn't care the sex. The benefit is no worrying about eggs, but I would have been happy if with him being a her if it turned out that way. As I said, I'm absolutely fine with it and am glad he wasn't one of those ambiguous cases. Now we'll just have to see some growth in Strax to see what he is. It would be funny if he were a she.

My kids are now giving me grief about the name Praxis because they think it sounds like a girl's name. I'm wondering if they just think that because we thought he was a she all this time. What do you all think?

Strax is tolerating the trip just fine. We are really getting amused by his getting in that cactus sooo much. My wife said something sad/funny at lunch. We is he going to do when he weighs too much for it!!! Isn't that a pleasant thought, though? His gaining so much weight??? We need to weigh him when we get him back home. For first meal, he had 5 BSF larva. He was really quick with them. I don't think the 6th one wiggled enough to entice him to eat one more. I really love these larva. Praxis just at 35 nice big brown ones. I started feeding him the brown wigglers since I have so many of them that are in process of turning into adults, I really don't need any more. Our larva population seems to really be doing well. I would guess there might be thousands in various stages from tiny to pre-adult. We don't do enough table scraps, so we are feeding them chicken feed. It is working wonderfully. They love it! I'll have to post a pic sometime of my Biopod Plus.

Strax also ate/drank a 1/2 day of Repti-Boost. I'm so thankful to Diane for recommending that!

woodnt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here is our BioPod Plus, which is doing it's job wonderfully, as you will see in the next pic.

1119896_592482984135477_1200714046_o.jpg

Here is the "fruit" of the pod (many started borrowing underneath as soon as I lifted the lid).

1001948_592482644135511_766785870_n.jpg

Esther19

BD.org Addict
That's a really cool set-up! I don't know that I would be able to do that, though. But, food for thought. Strax is just my hero. Such a good, sweet boy, eating on his own and still lapping up the Repti-boost. :)

I believe that Praxis is a gender-neutral name. Tell the kids I said so, and I'm a teacher. :lol:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think Praxis is fine for either sex too actually. Wouldn't it be something if Strax DID turn out to be female after all.

Yes, you'll have to weigh him (her) when you get back. Gee, you might have to invest in a LARGER cactus. :mrgreen: I'm so happy to hear that the Repti-Boost really gave him the boost he needed. :D It sure does work wonders, I found that out myself too.

They sure are both enjoying the larva. The Biopod Plus is amazing. It should last for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My name is Faith
Top Bottom