Angry Dragon?? Mean??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, to start my wife bought a baby dragon back in May this year, its was only a few weeks old and very tiny. She thought it was cute. Now that he is about 7 months old, he is much bigger and "looks scary" to her. She used to play with him daily, and he was very curious and loved to run, well she hasnt been playing with him much, and now he seems to be anti social. About a month ago, i went to pick him up, and he opened his mouth wide and puffed up, i thought he was going to bite my face, ever since then, my wife wont touch him, so now he is my pet. He still lets me pick him up and he will chill on my shoulder for a bit, but when i put him on the ground, he will explore which is fine, but when i try to pick him back up, he will run and run, and when i finally get him, he puffs up and opens his mouth wide again like he is going to attack me. I just ignore it, since he has never bit me yet, but im curious why he is so angry.

He is in a 20g tank, which i know is to small for him, he out grew his bridge and tank quick. Im trying to find him a 55g.

What do you think makes him act this way?

jharris08

Juvie Member
sometimes when dragons are out of their enclosures to explore they feel vulnerable..just a natural survival response. when a 6 foot person approaches from above it freaks them out sometimes...mine will really freak out when I take them outside...most of their predators would be attacking them from above in the wild.
this might have something to do with, or it may be something else that is just making him uncomfortable...and the male dragons I have owned sometimes just want to be difficult lol, so that could be a possibility as well

Mine did the total opposite, he was very aggressive and would try and attack me. I couldn't even pick him up. He just turned a year and now he is a big baby, he doesn't even puff up his beard anymore.

JonnySteele

Original Poster
Hmm, he was a big baby when we got him. It seems like he is calming down a lil since i take him out more. But there are several times i go to put him back and he tries to scratch and claw his way out of my hands, even jumped from 5 feet up onetime!

Also, does it hurt if they bite you? He is about 15" including tail. Its only 7 months old.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I've been bitten by a 4ft iguana. it didn't hurt that bad. At best I'd say it stings. I've experience worse injuries in the kitchen.

Don't put up with aggression. If they act like they're going to bite, don't back down. Reacting in fear and backing off only teaches them that it works. It's like giving in to a temper tantrum. Be persistent and calm, eventually he'll settle down.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
JonnySteele":32ykcx94 said:
Also, does it hurt if they bite you? He is about 15" including tail. Its only 7 months old.

i was hand feeding my 7 month old beardie and she bit onto my finger by mistake- i got such a shock i dragged her accross the viv still attached to my finger poor thing. it didn't hurt in the slightest though. apparently a 'bad' beardie bite is no worse than a hamster bite (although a hamster bite from experience does sting a bit). :D

JonnySteele

Original Poster
catUK":aataav9e said:
JonnySteele":aataav9e said:

i was hand feeding my 7 month old beardie and she bit onto my finger by mistake- i got such a shock i dragged her accross the viv still attached to my finger poor thing. it didn't hurt in the slightest though. apparently a 'bad' beardie bite is no worse than a hamster bite (although a hamster bite from experience does sting a bit). :D
Ive been bitten by a hampter and those suckers hurt.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
JonnySteele":3ar7wciy said:
Ive been bitten by a hampter and those suckers hurt.

They certainly do! i had a date who met my hamster that bit him on the ear.....neeedless to say i never saw the date again!!
:?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom