Anger at peoples ignorance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dravena

This is not really a post about a bearded dragon rescue but this topic seamed to fit in hear the most.It suddenly got to me today that thousands of reptiles and exotic animals suffer because people buy them thinking they are cool with out knowing their proper care and most pet shops stand by and let it happen !
I currently have a terrapin that some one was going to release into a lake because they could not handle it any more.I nursed it back to health and now I am trying to re-home it and even reptile rescue centers wont pick up the phone or reply to emails.
I wish people just took the time to research the animals before they buy them and i wish there was some thing more I could do to help :( .

SaintJimmy

I also agree with you.

I made SURE to research heavily before finally purchasing a bearded dragon for my little brother today..

People just think it's like a dog or a cat. You just buy the cage and then throw it in there. No! It is an animal with environmental needs.

People just blow it off like a heat/uv lamp is no biggie and they will go and wonder why the beardie dies.

Dravena

Original Poster
Aw cool how is your new beardie doing ? Im glad you done your research and yes your right ! People just don't realize their needs :(

SaintJimmy

The beardie is very calm with people and likes the new cage very much.

I took it outside to bask but I guess it was a little stressed because it began to develop dark colors (maybe it was trying to absorb the sunlight. I know this because chameleons get slightly darker when absorbing heat) so I took it inside after about 5 minutes.

And it's only the first day the beardie has been with us. Such a great pet. Now I'm starting to realize how much of a pain in the butt the chameleon is vs the beardie.

Very cool pets.

I only took it outside because I love how it is WILLING to climb up on my hand and be with me. It is so friendly vs my chameleon who gapes and hisses when I try and get near him. I treat both of them with the best care possible and I am always gentle but you know. It's all up to the animal.

Natural, unfiltered UVB and vitamin D is so great for these animals but sadly I cannot take the chameleon outside due to his pissy nature. So I will get to bask with my friend this summer, the little beardie. It will help his health to be outside.

Dravena

Original Poster
Glad its getting on well and has settled in.
Yeah my one dose that too ,the sky seams to freak them out a bit.But yep they are very cool pets ! just got so much personality!
Aww that is fair enough about not taking the chameleon out I don't think i would either.Hope you and your beardie have fun out side this summer .

SaintJimmy

Dravena":1j1pb7jd said:
Glad its getting on well and has settled in.
Yeah my one dose that too ,the sky seams to freak them out a bit.But yep they are very cool pets ! just got so much personality!
Aww that is fair enough about not taking the chameleon out I don't think i would either.Hope you and your beardie have fun out side this summer .

Yep I will make sure the little guy gets lots of natural sun and the food he needs. I will associate going outside with his/her favorite foods too huh. :p

SaintJimmy

Dravena":qm69rn9p said:
yep it probably would .

Agh! Okay I have a story I've been wanting to tell about the mistreatment of beardies..

I don't know if I've said it before but we bought her at petco and first off when you walk in there the place just smells of rats and mice. At least keep it clean people.

Then there are the bratty employees. You walk in and they acknowledge you and say hi, but that attitude doesn't last forever unless you're an old lady with a helper dog coming to get poochie some toys.

As soon as you walk to the reptile section they start to act snotty and ignore you.

Over the phone we were told by a sales representative that EVERYTHING reptiles including supplies was 1/2 off..

We got the hidey hole, the dishes for food, and the lights and then finally the reptile. When they grabbed the beardie out of the cage they were very rough and had no empathy for the poor thing.

They just dropped it into the box and handed it to us.

We went to the register sort of disturbed and the lady told us in fact that ONLY the reptile was 1/2 off. BS. We were told over the phone that everything was half off and last time I checked false advertisement was against the law.. Believe me, I work under an attorney..

So we started to get pretty pissed. I just stood there with my family. I didn't even hold back on comments. I said how it was so BS to be treated this way and have the reptiles treated this way.

We tried to convince them what was going wrong.. On top of that they tried to give us false info BS on what we needed to buy..

WRONG. So wrong. SO wrong. I will never go back there.

The attitudes of the employees.. Just so horrifying. They didn't even apologize for the service.

We left with a pissy mood and a stressed beardie. I haven't ever owned one and I knew the little buddy had been grabbed totally the wrong way.

Not to mention it was in a sand covered tank with a heat lamp NO UVB and poop everywhere. Also with around 10 beardies along with it in the tank..

My dad's girlfriend who is a paralegal who I work with called their services and was treated horribly when she tried to make a report..

As SOON as she said "I am working under ___ an attorney and we would be more than happy to begin making a case file" they started treating her royally..

The only thing they care about is not losing their cash..

They also backed off a bit when we said we had 3 witnesses.

Good gracious they are a horrible company. The director of sales of petco him/herself is going to respond within 3-5 business days..

Take that.. Don't mistreat the animals or the customers.. And they even tried to give us false info on the beardie too.

Dravena

Original Poster
That is so horrible! I have heard a lot about petco and it don't seam a nice place at all -.- poor animals .These big companies are all about the money they don't care about the animals they are just objects to them .At least you saved your beardie from them.Really is no way to run a business.
We have a chain pet shop close to me and they put whole bowls of calcium powder in the tanks .not dusted on their food just put in a bowl .Me and my boyfriend made a complaint about it but it was ignored -.-

SaintJimmy

Dravena":15fn3bt5 said:
That is so horrible! I have heard a lot about petco and it don't seam a nice place at all -.- poor animals .These big companies are all about the money they don't care about the animals they are just objects to them .At least you saved your beardie from them.Really is no way to run a business.
We have a chain pet shop close to me and they put whole bowls of calcium powder in the tanks .not dusted on their food just put in a bowl .Me and my boyfriend made a complaint about it but it was ignored -.-

WHOLE BOWLS of calcium!? What are they thinking.. 1) the poor animal could get its eyes irritated 2) the animal will ignore the powder because its not food 3) if it eats too much powder on accident it could be deadly!

What are they thinking.. They should at least take your complaint into consideration

Dravena

Original Poster
I know .They have no idea what they are doing.i dont pretend to be an expert but you would have to be an ***** to do that .:(

SaintJimmy

Dravena":33kvyfcb said:
I know .They have no idea what they are doing.i dont pretend to be an expert but you would have to be an ***** to do that .:(

Oh yeah you have to be really ignorant to even be able to consider that. You just have to not care at all to just throw a bowl of cal in there and not even care for the animals.

Even someone who's never cared for one would know that unless they really did not care for the guys life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom