Am I missing out if I dont...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Hello Everyone,

I am contemplating purchasing a second beardie, but I have some doubts.

Originally I wanted a hatchling, because my beardie now was probably 3 or 4 months old when I got her. And I felt like I missed out on the baby stage.

Now Im ready for a second, but I honestly dont think I could afford to feed a hatchling (2 different sizes of crickets), and I go away once a month to visit my parents -its a 4 hours car ride- and take my adult with me, and I know I couldnt do this with a baby.

How much am I missing out if I purchase another beardie who is a couple months old? (I wouldnt take it in the car until it was older)

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
I know i've already voiced my opinion, but I don't think you'll be missing out on a whole lot. Everytime I've had a baby baby I've thought to my self "what was I thinking" :banghead: I think they're more fun when they're a little bigger. Not quite as fragile and less jumpy. And getting one that's bigger than a hatchling but smaller than your other guy was, is still pretty small.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was hoping you'd answer haha I didnt know how to get your attention to the other thread I had posted. The ones I have found will be 4 months old when I can take them home, so I assume around the same age. Although they look smaller. (Not really sure how old sebastian was).

So what is the difference between a 4 month old and a 2 month old?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
You're missing out on a lot of work and some possibly stressful times. Babies can stop eating for no reason, decide they hate crickets for no reason, be completely unable to handle for no reason, so not much. Plus, I have some 2 month old dragons who are already over 80 grams, so why not get a 2 or 3 month old?

bambichik39

Juvie Member
I agree on getting an older one. Pablo is a lot more fun now that he is 6 months old and he enjoys being held without stressing him out or putting up a fight. It's also easier to feed him and he seems more on a "schedule" now. He is also getting a lot easier to bathe and I feel more comfortable letting him out of his cage because he isn't as fast and is big enough that he won't take off to a small area that I can't get to. In the end, I don't regret getting a hatchling (he never stopped eating and has never actually tried to bite- so i think i lucked out), but if I ever did get another I'd probably go for an older one. Plus it seems like they are just like dogs, so many people want the cute little babies then give them up a few months later, so I think I'd probably adopt one next time (craigslist is always full and our local shelter adopts them out on weekends at Petsmart too!). Good luck either way, I'm sure you'll love both experiences

ddma

Juvie Member
I'm with them, i've gotten mine at about 6 inches, but as small as 5 inches, and i found myself saying, i can't wait until they get bigger. when they are babies and small , they run from you, you have to be careful when holding them, you just can't let them sit on your shoulder , they are skiddish and those little boogers are fast.when they're that little they're in survival mode, they want to run to protect themselves because they think thier being hunted and that everything bigger than them wants to eat them. and when they're small like that , it's alot more work. i vote for older beardie.

Agreed on getting a bit older beardie, it not like a human baby where the goos and gahs are just too cute to miss, your saving yourself a lot of stress and worry by getting a bit older, mine is still only 6 inches and almost impossible to handle. jumpy little bugger. i personally cant wait till mojo gets bigger, then i dont have to stress about him disappearing under a dresser never to be seen again. plus, having seen a juvenile jump outta my friends hands and into the street, i'll feel much safer going anywhere when mojo is big enough for a harness. etfor now, its the critter keeper the whole way to the vet! :laughing6:

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Aw thank you everyone for answering! That actually makes me feel so much better and makes my life a lot easier. I really just wanted to hear the other side. I had no idea babies were like this! So I really appreciate the input and will find a slightly older one that someone doesnt want anymore. I think thats an excellent idea.

But will you all still melt and awwww to my pictures? :oops:

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
A juvie is still a baby to us, plus at that age his or her true colors will start showing through, so we'll get to see how pretty they're going to be. Come on we "awwwwwww" at rescue pics. We love all beardie pics :D

Chomper1218

I got chomper when she was only a week old. I like the idea of raising any animal from birth because of the lifelong bond you and your pet will share. I enjoy being chomper's one and only daddy :p

Shankfest

The only other previous lizard I've owned were Green Anoles, which are not known for their friendliness, so compared to that handling my 3 month old is a breeze. He gets random little periods where he acts different but you get used to it. Although I definitely see how the cons outweigh the pros for getting a baby it still makes me smile when I look back at his first pictures and thinking (woah, were you really that small once?) is novel.

If your not into that kinda thing and are under restraints I'd say spring for the older one. Your saving the hassle in trade for being able to look back at baby pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom