Am I feeding her too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Karenxx67":13icusd3 said:
Im too nervous to hand feed incase i ger nipped ?

Itzybitzy hatchlings aren't so bad when they accidentially nip end of the thumb or the finger, bigger juveniles can do some damage (cut the skin and draw blood) , can't recall when I was last accidentially nipped by Puff when he was around or by Rex.

Same with the bluetongues (they have a very strong bite !!), have very powerful jaw muscles cf a bearded dragon.

My observation is that skinks and dragons very quickly get the hang of the handfeeding lark.

Usually when a nip happens they don't follow through (it was a total accident and they are just as shocked as I am) , usually my fault for not paying attention / being monentarily distracted and not getting the end of the finger or thumb out the way quick enough.
I tend to come from side of the front of the snout with handfeeding, even hand fed a huge semi-tame rescued eastern water dragon who was about a metre long (nose to tip of tail) and a very impressive lizard in anyone's language - showed the person who was caring for it how to handfeed it.

SBarney

Original Poster
She just polished off 106 crickets in one meal. :roll:

At this rate, pretty soon I will need to set up a go fund me page for her. :shock:

Gail

BD.org Addict
A bit isn't that bad, a puppy or kitten can bit worse then a adult dragon. I've been nipped by hatchlings all the way up to a adult male and he didn't do it on accident, he meant business. I really wouldn't worry about a bit from a rankins, it will probably break skin but they are pretty good about not biting down hard if its accidental.

SBarney, can you post a pic of your dragon and the size of the cricket you are feeding? I'm really worried that her eating is getting out of control, the last thing you want is a obese dragon.

SBarney

Original Poster
Gail":2lgeubpt said:
SBarney, can you post a pic of your dragon and the size of the cricket you are feeding? I'm really worried that her eating is getting out of control, the last thing you want is a obese dragon.

87619-6990164248.jpg

87619-2257339801.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
those crickets are maybe 3mm long .... they are pinheads and way too small, no wonder he's eating such large numbers of them , you should upgrade to 8 to 12mm long crickets i think.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SBarney":bl19pvj6 said:
She just polished off 106 crickets in one meal. :roll:

At this rate, pretty soon I will need to set up a go fund me page for her. :shock:

106 pinhead crickets is approximately equivalent mass and protein wise to maybe 8 to 10 x 1/3 sized crickets ( I think he should be getting 1/3 size crickets at his size ).

He'd probably eat a petshop tub of 1/3 size crickets per day (about 40 to the tub , but may be different where you are, ie Biolabs put 45 small (1/3 size) crickets in a tub, and Piscus put about 30 of the same size in each (tub which is smaller in volume).

I'm using the following estimates - see https://caves.org/pub/journal/PDF/V64/v64n2-Studier.pdf (fig 1)
double the cricket length --> 3 to 4 x the mass
and
thrice the cricket length --> 10 to 12 x the mass.
(There's an exponential relationship length to mass per cricket.)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She can eat much larger crickets than that. :) They are not pinheads, they are what is sold in the U.S. as 1/4" crix. I was thinking from the start that the crix were going to be too small. Definitely order at least the 1/2" if not bigger crickets. You'll save money and your dragon will get filled up on half the amount of bugs, even less. And I almost thought that you said it was a Rankin's in one post, but it was another member [ Karen ? ] that posted about HER dragon.

SBarney

Original Poster
I bought her some larger crickets today. Makes much more sense, she was full after about 10 of them. Thats going to save me a lot of money. Now I have to deal with all the chirping....

Thanks for all the advice.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SBarney":3g8bupva said:
I bought her some larger crickets today. Makes much more sense, she was full after about 10 of them. Thats going to save me a lot of money. Now I have to deal with all the chirping....

Thanks for all the advice.

Only adult male crickets churp, suggest avoid buying LARGE = adult crickets unless you intend to set up a breeding colony of crickets .

Next size down will be quieter and will last several more days too if you buy them in bulk lots (or several tubs of them at a time).

Elisa

I feed my guy Dubai roaches. Once he started eating too many crickets and they were costing me too much money I switch to the roaches; they are much easier to keep, don't smell, don't jump and have a much better protein level than the crickets. I ordered them from Abdragons.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom