always in hide? update 12/16 *PICS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, sorry to hear that he still hasn't adjusted. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a fecal checked, just to be safe. Getting a new Repti-Sun should certainly make a difference. That's great that he loves raspberries, that must have made you feel good.

Does he like coward when he sees you coming? Can he only see your feet and legs coming toward him and that is when he reacts negatively?

s1393

Original Poster
yeah sometimes it when he only sees my feet. but even today when i had him out today and could see me coming towards him he still did it and i would put him back in viv and 2min later he would run up to glass to get out so i would go to open it back and get him out and he would flare up at me, and he always seems to have stress marks. and his eating is still not like it was. he is only 5.5 months old and i have read the article on burmation and multiple other topics about others having same issue with young beardies doing this but havent found one that has a definitive answer or solution so i guess it got better.
he has had a bm everyday this week, will work on getting fecal done, have to find my vet because he moved to a new location.

s1393

Original Poster
found something to get my little guy off the floor that im gonna try to pick up this week if i can scrounge up a couple extra dollars, wont be as high as he was but couple feet off the ground.
still cant get him to eat his feeders just raspberries and maybe a couple green leaves, and im pressure sure that has something to do with his lack of growth cause he is almost 6months now and 14inches and he is a german giant(parents were 22" and 24") and hasnt shed in a month -since move into new viv-
got some baby food chicken to get him some protein that im gonna start tomorrow if he doesnt eat any crickets.
checking for where vet moved to tomorrow to see about fecal.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry that he hasn't adjusted and isn't eating. You're trying all that you can and hopefully raising the tank up a little will help make a difference. I'm glad that you're going to start with the chicken baby food, you could mix that with baby food squash too, they usually really like the combination. Sounds like he really needs it to get him eating again, not good when the young ones go very long without protein. You can also put a pinch of calcium or vitamins in it too and thin the mixture with a little bit of water. Taking the chill off in the microwave for a few seconds seems to help them eat it better too, good luck with that, let me know how it goes.

Hope you can find out where the vet went. If you can't any regular vet should be able to test a fecal for you.

Be sure to keep us updated and keep your chin up. :wink:

s1393

Original Poster
hopefully sunday i will have the extra cash to get what i need to get him off ground.
still not eating much. maybe 5 or 6 crickets a day-still way less than his 40+ a day he was at before move, pays almost no attention to them when i put them in. just sits there and periodically will grab one as he runs by. im syringe feeding him too (baby food-chicken and squash diluted with water and add in some calcium and vit) and he likes that will eat about 3 syringe fulls(1cc syringe) before running back into his viv
put new reptisun in tuesday. he was eating his greens too before move but not anymore only raspberries will even move greens out of way to get to them and on beautifuldragon food it says raspberries should be fed rarely??
found vet that took my last beardie too and he has moved a good bit away from me so going to call another one close by who supposedly does exotics(or did a few years ago)
really starting to frustrated with his lack of eating and growing been over a month since his last shed. and he still wants to do nothing but hide it seems, lays on bottom away from basking or in the little nook. temps haven't changed. basking 101-103 cool side 80-83
any other ideas?? besides doing the fecal which im trying to get done. oh and on doing the fecal i know the fresher the better but if i do have to wait till next day anything i can do to preserve it till then??

*EDIT* is it possible he is just bored with crickets?? have been giving him a couple wax worms every 3 or 4 days and once he sees them moving he goes right for him. i know i can feed supers yet since he only 14" and the girlfriend has said no way shape or form are we doing the dubias hahah

s1393

Original Poster
just a quick update...
just picked up the the stands to get him about 2 feet higher so he should be able to see more than feet coming towards him.
put on a post on health about trying to find a vet to do a fecal because im starting to think he has some kind of parasite since his eating has not picked up at all and been over a month.

s1393

Original Poster
well it has been awhile since last post about it and im back at square 1.
i had blocked off his hide so with no where to go he would bask most the time with there being one spot that he would cram himself into and tuck his head under basking rock which was closest thing to a hide he had. well i made him a new fake rock wall/basking/hides because the first one was cracking and coming apart. i put it in and within in minutes he found the hide and layed in there which was no biggie being that it was about 30mins from lights out. next morning i put him up on basking spot where he stayed for about a hour before running to hide which is where he was when i left and when i returned 8hours later from work he was in exact same location and position as when i left.
i know there is chance for some relocation stress due to the diff fake rock and what not but being that he keeps wanting to hide even with old set up in there is really bothering me. if i left him alone im sure he would hide 24/7 and i cant feed him knowing that he isnt even warm.
just to go over set up again ---
viv size 4x2x2 crossfire
heat - regular household bulb
uvb - repti-sun 10.0 tube(3weeks old)
basking temp - 101-104 depending on if a/c is on
cool side 79-81
taking temps with acurite with probe and humidity and all that good stuff.

should i block off some of his tank to make it smaller???
thanks in advance

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, sorry to hear that he is still hiding quite a bit. How did you make out raising the tank up higher, did that work out?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to section the tank off to make it a little smaller, perhaps that would help. I know I probably asked you before but are there any other animals in the house that might be scaring him?

Were you able to get a fecal done?

Would it be possible to post a picture of him in his tank now?

s1393

Original Poster
actually i was reading back through all the pages and remembered the raising temps so i went up a step in wattage for basking about hour and half before lights out and he didnt return to hide so we will see what happens tomorrow before i go and block off some of his viv.

no, there are no other pets running around

and here is the pic of viv now. and at the time i didnt have the ramp set up from that 2nd level to floor but there is one now so dont worry he is able to get up and down easy
nubshouse-1.jpg

s1393

Original Poster
well went up from 75watt to 100watt and he seemed to stay out longer, but temps took a drop here so looks like i need to go up again. basking was only 99 and cool side down to 77.

EShell

Hatchling Member
I'd think he's stressed out by his "new" reflection in the glass.

I've moved several BDs and have seen this reaction to seeing themselves in the glass. The breeder of my only "non-adopted lizard" also cautioned me about this and suggested I mask the inside of my mostly glass enclosure prior to putting the new baby in there.

Seeing the BD doing too much head bobbing or hiding, I have masked the *inside* of the glass with white paper, and as soon as they could no longer see themselves, they calmed down. After they've calmed down awhile, I have reduced the height of the paper barrier a little at a time to get them used to it slowly, and that seems to work. Even now, I have a 7-8 month old that is fine with seeing himself occasionally, but will go into hiding if too much reflection shows, so I still have some coverage.

s1393

Original Poster
thanks for advise but im fairly sure it isnt his reflection. he was in an all glass viv before this one and the breeders also keeps theres in glass vivs and acted fine before. and if i block off the spot that he sees his reflection i wouldnt be able to see him at all since only the front is reflective.
he is starting to stay out more. gonna try a high wattage bulb since ambient is still low and after that if he is still hiding im going to block off some of his big to see if making it smaller helps.
when he does hide he will scratch as if it was lights out and about to go to sleep.

s1393

Original Poster
well he stays out most of time now, dont think there wasnt any relocation stress after fake rock change. seems like every other day he would be hiding when i came home. so as before i just blocked off the hide(well one of them still has one spot but isnt as dark)

he is eating a lot more and has gained 30grams in past 2 1/2 weeks and only time he has stress marks is when he has been out of cage for a while and gets cold, and trying to warm up, since temps are dropping

so just wanted to say thanks again for all your help diane and others and can lock thread or whatever.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great, thanks for the update. Sounds like things are squared away now and he sounds much happier. Wow, 30 grams in 2 1/2 wks? That's amazing!

It's up to you if you want to continue posting on this thread with updates or if you'd like to start a new one BUT you have to be sure to let us know how things are going either way. :wink:

s1393

Original Poster
just an update.
he is back to wanting to hide and normally is when we get home but when we get him out he will stay out the rest of the time. he eats fine actually it is picking up and getting annoying going to get crickets every other day haha.
pretty sure he is starting to hide some since we have had a temp drop and now his ambient has dropped down to 75 from 82 and i just havent had time to add another fixture to get the cool side up. basking is still 102-105.
when i started this thread he was around 120grams and now is at 280grams and had an inch and a half growth spurt over past 2 weeks putting him at just over 16 inches.

one question i have is can the humidity be to low?? i have the acurite indoor/outdoor thermometer from walmart with the prob and humidity gauge and
it just reads "low" so it is less than 20%. i know if it is to high it can cause respiratory issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKFA
Top Bottom