Always 'hungry'; eating to the point of purging

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby beardie is roughly 9 weeks old, and he almost always seems hungry. We feed him 1-2 times a day, and I almost think we're overfeeding him, but everyone says to "feed them as much as they want in a 15m interval". We give him roughly 10 crickets twice a day, or sometimes some wax worms when we have them. It's hard to judge exactly how much he wants because some days he won't even go for one (he has shed a lot recently), and other days, he won't stop going to his 'feeding spot' (despite having him for just 3 weeks, he's already taught himself how to tell me when he's hungry) no matter how much we give him!

Anyways, multiple times now, I've noticed a weird substance in the cage that looked like hardened-yet-mashed cricket guts, and I can only assume it's him purging up from eating too much, so I'm getting worried to the point where I have to cut him off despite him asking for more food. Is this wrong? Is it not him regurgitating? Should I even be worrying?

(If it's not clear yet, I'm only as experienced for as long as I've had him: 3 weeks)

dom02

If he is regurgitating it could be a different reason. But as for the amount idk, 20 a day seems too few. At 9 months mine was eating 50-60 dubia roaches in a day.

Could the crickets your feeding him be too big? Also, maybe he just isn't digesting properly because of something wrong with his tank set up. Does he have a basking spot that gets around 100F?

Polarthief

Original Poster
dom02":3vn20ioq said:
If he is regurgitating it could be a different reason. But as for the amount idk, 20 a day seems too few. At 9 months mine was eating 50-60 dubia roaches in a day.

Could the crickets your feeding him be too big? Also, maybe he just isn't digesting properly because of something wrong with his tank set up. Does he have a basking spot that gets around 100F?

Some of the crickets are even too SMALL; I don't believe the size of them to be causing this; his basking spot is around 100-110 during the day.

Pushkin

Juvie Member
My dragon is a bit older - about 5 months from what I can guess - but he eats 20-30 crickets in each sitting - usually twice a day. It seems like your beardie's appetite is normal, if not low!

Polarthief

Original Poster
Pushkin":3gcug2c8 said:
My dragon is a bit older - about 5 months from what I can guess - but he eats 20-30 crickets in each sitting - usually twice a day. It seems like your beardie's appetite is normal, if not low!

Ho boy. Looks like I need to start buying more crickets then... I'm still worried about the regurgitation though and thought it was because he ate too much... Anyone have any ideas on that? His basking spot is definitely hot enough.

Polarthief

Original Poster
Pushkin":2vcht42i said:
This could be a dumb question, but could it be trampled poo?

His poop is usually brownish (hints of green) or black (if I didn't notice it right away because he usually poops in the basking spot), and this was a light beige, almost the same color as the crickets. Also had a couple black spots (assuming cricket eyes) and small jagged bits (limbs/feelers?)

Pushkin

Juvie Member
Hmmm that does sound strange! I think if it were me, I would probably bag it up the next time I saw it and bring it to a vet… but maybe someone who has experienced something similar will have an answer for you!

Polarthief

Original Poster
Well I fed him a bit more, and... nothing. Still seems like he's hungry. He wasn't like this prior, but he was going through a shed at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom