Allergic reaction to beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Someone asked what they should do because it seems as though her son is allergic to beardies. They got a beardie a few weeks ago and her son has had a rash around his chest and neck. I said I have never heard of anything like this before, that beardies are pretty much an animal for those who do have allergies. I said it is probably something that came with the beardie and not the beardie itself. I asked what the set up was like, if they were using sand, and informed that they need to remove any loose substrate immediately. I said that when we used to use the sand at Petco, before I changed it, I would get itchy from the sand. To try some type quaranteen and try to narrow down what it could be.

There was also the mention of salmonella. I said that he may have a sensitivity to this, but again I have never heard of it. And that this is a matter not to throw out totally - always wash hands, etc., but that I don't feel it is something to over induldge about. That I give my Spike kisses constantly and so does my daughter. And, that many of us here do it as well and we have had no issues.

Any one have any ideas?

Tiantha

Hatchling Member
There are a number of things that I can think of that might affect such a reaction and not from the animal itslef. Rash of what kind red irriation itching bumps? hard to say without a picture of more of a description. Common allergic reactions to something in this manner can be treated topically OTC wise with a 1% cream hydrocortizone.

It could be the substrate. It could be the beardie needs a bath too. Cleanign the area is necessary. Was he scratched by claws? If the beardie has long claws and he or she did a 'scramble up the human'...then you might open the surface of the skin and anything on the claws could get in and if he or she is senstitive you can get a response. Those are my first thoughts.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I'm leaning towards scratching from the claws. I have allergic reactions to all animal/reptile scratches. I have four cats and one beardie and every time I get a scratch from any of them I have the same reaction. Redness and extreme itching around the scratched area. I generally wash the affected area with an antiseptic cleanser, followed by any cream/spray with 1% hydrocortizone(like tiantha said). If it's really bad an oral antihistamine(like Benadryl).
Of course his sounds a little more severe than mine(if that is what it actually is). The mother might want to talk to his pediatrician about it, especially if it persists.

Edricks

Gray-bearded Member
I've had mild rashes from dragon scratches... but the body's immune system kicked in pretty quick and I dont any more.

Also, feeders can cause rashes in people with sensative skin.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Did they have the beardie on calcium sand? Little known fact is that calcium carbonate which is what calcium sand is comprised of is toxic to humans and this could be the issue.Did you tell her to bathe te beardie to wash off any substances on him as even if they are not using it I would be willing to bet the prvious owner/breeder/pet store may have been.A scratch can cause a slight inflamation but not a reaction like that I am going to lead on the side of a product rather then the beardie.Another out ther possibility is the UVB as some people especially those that are fair skinned could have skin issues if exposure to it is prolonged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom