All reptile owners need a power-out plan!! Please help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Oh, I am soooo glad somebody brought this up. We live in Kansas and the weather changes so often, we don't know what to expect. Plus, we had a bit of a panic last night. We live in apartment complex and I kept hearing a fire alarm going off. I called the fire department first (no help), then the police department. Turns out somebody else had already called (it wasn't a serious emergency, as hard as that may sound to believe, nobody had pulled the "apartment fire alarm", smelled smoke, etc., but we got ready FAST). It was the apartment right next to us. We were in a bit of shock. Lucas grabbed the cats and put them in their carrier, put Kaira and Taz in their separate "carriers" wrapped them in a towel, while I got stuff together for us and extra sweatshirts to keep them warm. I will always have Phoenix worms around, though. In an emergency like that, it's a lot easier to stick a few cups of PWs in a bag than to worry about crickets or some other bugs. Turned out it was only a faulty alarm, but it definitely got me thinking about fires, tornados, and I've been worried about what to do for winter. Sorry for the story lol. We just weren't as prepared for Kaira and Taz as we were for the cats :oops: .
Personally, I'd add PWs to that emergency kit (we keep several cups in a rubbermaid shoebox). I know they aren't the best source of everything beardies need and won't last our little pigs long, but they're better than freeze dried/canned bugs (IMO) and live awhile. Though they are expensive!
This may sound stupid, but what heat packs do you recommend? And hand warmers? I'd like to not lose all of our other feeders if I can prevent it. But, boy, was I relieved to be able to grab that tub of PWs, knowing they'd have something to eat. We'll never allow ourselves to run low on them from now on. It was a real wake-up call. I planned on making our "emergency kit" (cat stuff included) today. I just don't know which brand is recommended to use for a heat pack? Or do I order them online?
Thanks for making this post! Now I have a few more ideas on how to keep them warm and fed. :D
Abi

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
amalsg07":f2ee1 said:
Oh, I am soooo glad somebody brought this up. We live in Kansas and the weather changes so often, we don't know what to expect. Plus, we had a bit of a panic last night. We live in apartment complex and I kept hearing a fire alarm going off. I called the fire department first (no help), then the police department. Turns out somebody else had already called (it wasn't a serious emergency, as hard as that may sound to believe, nobody had pulled the "apartment fire alarm", smelled smoke, etc., but we got ready FAST). It was the apartment right next to us. We were in a bit of shock. Lucas grabbed the cats and put them in their carrier, put Kaira and Taz in their separate "carriers" wrapped them in a towel, while I got stuff together for us and extra sweatshirts to keep them warm. I will always have Phoenix worms around, though. In an emergency like that, it's a lot easier to stick a few cups of PWs in a bag than to worry about crickets or some other bugs. Turned out it was only a faulty alarm, but it definitely got me thinking about fires, tornados, and I've been worried about what to do for winter. Sorry for the story lol. We just weren't as prepared for Kaira and Taz as we were for the cats :oops: .
Personally, I'd add PWs to that emergency kit (we keep several cups in a rubbermaid shoebox). I know they aren't the best source of everything beardies need and won't last our little pigs long, but they're better than freeze dried/canned bugs (IMO) and live awhile. Though they are expensive!
This may sound stupid, but what heat packs do you recommend? And hand warmers? I'd like to not lose all of our other feeders if I can prevent it. But, boy, was I relieved to be able to grab that tub of PWs, knowing they'd have something to eat. We'll never allow ourselves to run low on them from now on. It was a real wake-up call. I planned on making our "emergency kit" (cat stuff included) today. I just don't know which brand is recommended to use for a heat pack? Or do I order them online?
Thanks for making this post! Now I have a few more ideas on how to keep them warm and fed. :D
Abi

That sounds very scary! We don't have tornadoes or snow here, but winters get waaaay too cold for a Beardie, and there are lots of windstorms that have knocked over powerlines previously.

Once ski season starts, I'm going to buy several packs of handwarmers at the ski lodge. If you or someone you know ski, you could pick up a few. I don't know the brands.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Yeah, it was scary. Our first thoughts were to get Kaira, Taz, and our two cats safe & ready, but I stopped and calmed down for a minute and realized that if we weren't safe, they weren't going to be taken care of. So, while our babies were and are our main concern, we do have to realize that if we don't have the things we need, they won't survive an emergency. Which made me concentrate on extra clothing and getting that stuff for us, while Lucas got them together (because, I wanted to get them ready first, too). My point being, that if you can't take care of yourself (you're too cold, starving, etc.), you aren't going to be able to help them survive as well. Trust me, I know how hard it is to worry about yourself when you know they're in danger too, but they need you so you have to be prepared for everybody.
The power has been known to go out for 3 to 4 days at times around here, sometimes more. So with the temperatures dropping and the chances of snow in the forecast, we started buying things yesterday.
The only people I know who ski are in Minnesota :?, so that's not really an option.
Thanks though :D
Abi

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hi Abi! Hows Karia since her ordeal?

I got instant heat pads from Rite Aid. They come in packs of 4 for I think $1.99 Called Body Heat. Basicly it is the cheep version of Therma care, and they are the perfect beardie size about 4" x5". They prolly sell them at most any pharmacy.

Stac

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
amalsg07":5b933 said:
Yeah, it was scary. Our first thoughts were to get Kaira, Taz, and our two cats safe & ready, but I stopped and calmed down for a minute and realized that if we weren't safe, they weren't going to be taken care of. So, while our babies were and are our main concern, we do have to realize that if we don't have the things we need, they won't survive an emergency. Which made me concentrate on extra clothing and getting that stuff for us, while Lucas got them together (because, I wanted to get them ready first, too). My point being, that if you can't take care of yourself (you're too cold, starving, etc.), you aren't going to be able to help them survive as well. Trust me, I know how hard it is to worry about yourself when you know they're in danger too, but they need you so you have to be prepared for everybody.
The power has been known to go out for 3 to 4 days at times around here, sometimes more. So with the temperatures dropping and the chances of snow in the forecast, we started buying things yesterday.
The only people I know who ski are in Minnesota :?, so that's not really an option.
Thanks though :D
Abi

That is very true with anything; you will be able to take better care of people and animals if you are in good condition yourself. Don't sacrafice your life for an animal, because with your life, you could save hundreds of animals.... you have a very good point.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Judah'sHuman":66666 said:
Hi Abi! Hows Karia since her ordeal?

I got instant heat pads from Rite Aid. They come in packs of 4 for I think $1.99 Called Body Heat. Basicly it is the cheep version of Therma care, and they are the perfect beardie size about 4" x5". They prolly sell them at most any pharmacy.

Stac

Stac,
Kaira got 2 "all clears" and our vet said we could stop doing fecals :D . That was about a month ago. Taz is still having a bit of trouble, but growing like crazy. They're both doing really good now. Thanks for asking! :D
Thanks for a brand name, we'll get them ASAP.

herpfreak":66666 said:
That is very true with anything; you will be able to take better care of people and animals if you are in good condition yourself. Don't sacrafice your life for an animal, because with your life, you could save hundreds of animals.... you have a very good point.
Well I do always put them before myself and would make sure they were out of harm's way, even it meant risking my life (just being honest). I'm saying if there were to be a fire and we had minutes to get out, we'd still get them before we left. They're part of the family, our babies..they're not something you can "replace". BUT, we had the time in that case to get everyone ready and will now be more prepared. I don't want anyone to think that we don't value their lives...it's the complete opposite. We just realized that we had to have things for ourselves, not just them, or we weren't going to be able to care for them either. I hope that made sense lol.
Abi

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
A few people mentioned warm rice socks. But how do you warm the rice if there is no power? or am I just being stupid and missing something? :)

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Elora":911ab said:
A few people mentioned warm rice socks. But how do you warm the rice if there is no power? or am I just being stupid and missing something? :)
LOL, I was wondering the same thing! I just didn't want to ask... :oops: . Glad you did...that'd be a lot easier! :D
Abi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom