All bulbs not created equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
This is more a "thinking out loud" kind of post , but has anyone else noticed how different temps can be with same wattage bulb from competing brands? my two hatchlings are in 40 gals on the same table, and ive got their basking spots next to each other, so it is really easy to compare heights.

In Drogons Enclosure on the left, Its being heated by a 75w intense basking bulb by exoterra. On the right, Viserion has a ZooMed 75w basking spot bulb . Drogons basking spot sits higher in the enclosure, and the lamp sits closer to the top, while Viserions Basking spot is lower, and her lamp sits higher.

heres the kicker...Viserions basking temps are still higher. Its not really an issue because I can just adjust my distances until temps are correct, but it just seems crazy that there can be that big of a difference in the two bulbs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think that may have a bit to do with the reflectors each bulb is using. While there are different sizes and shapes of reflectors, I'd imagine that they may vary depending on brand as well. The tough part is when different bulbs from the same brand act differently due to manufacturing inconsistencies. This seems to happen a lot with cheaper MVBs and UVB tubes.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Like the reflector inside the bulb itself? or are you referring to the dome/fixture they are in?

also, here is a shot of the two basking spots in question for reference

43538-435475694.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm talking about the reflector inside the bulb itself, behind the element. If they have a different shape or even a different texture (one didn't get polished as much as another, one has a dent, etc) I'd imagine they would have a slightly different output in the end because the light would be directed differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom