Albino Bearded dragon???

Status
Not open for further replies.

frydchicken

i was wondering if anyone on this site owns, or knows someone who owns an albino beardie.
ive searched for pictures and found just 1 pic. of a few baby albinos and a few normals next to them.
not sure if it was fake or not but it seemed pretty real to me. i attatched the pic i found.
so ya just wondering, anybody have one of these? :?:
albino.JPG

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Albinos have happened. However they dont live past a few weeks. Being albino they must avoid sun, however they cant because of their need for uvb.

Paperdaisies

Hatchling Member
TheWolfmanTom":3o4erkga said:
Albinos have happened. However they dont live past a few weeks. Being albino they must avoid sun, however they cant because of their need for uvb.

Wow that's crazy and sad too...

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Yep I agree with Tom. I have only heard of one instance where an albino lived past a few weeks and it was a pogona Microlepidota(note this was in australia) if I remember correctly. Got up to around 6 months old before it passed. It was completely blind and had to be hand fed.

articwolfgirl

Juvie Member
i really wanted one but i did my reshearch :cry: they never live past a few months at most becuase the cant tolerate the uvb light. It kills them slowly becuase being albino the cant be under uvb light and becuase beardies need the uvb they die :cry:

spyder79

Extreme Poster
articwolfgirl":35x7gk76 said:
i really wanted one but i did my reshearch :cry: they never live past a few months at most becuase the cant tolerate the uvb light. It kills them slowly becuase being albino the cant be under uvb light and becuase beardies need the uvb they die :cry:

its not the UVB issue that kills them. it is a weak gene mutation that is the reason they die. You can actually raise a bearded dragon to normal sized adulthood without UVB but it takes a lot of time and work to do so. Not something i would suggest but in a case like an albino where it would be needed it could be done.

Livey

Extreme Poster
How do albinos even happen?
is it similar to humans are they just carry some sort of gene?

Sangheili

Hatchling Member
I LOVE albinos, but I wouldn't get one just to have it die. That would break my heart. Having a normal beardie is just great with me C:
Albinism is a wonky thing, genetics mostly.

Found this site: https://health.google.com/health/ref/Albinism

Albinism is a defect of melanin production that results in little or no color (pigment) in the skin, hair, and eyes.Albinism occurs when one of several genetic defects makes the body unable to produce or distribute melanin, a natural substance that gives color to your hair, skin, and iris of the eye.
The defects may be passed down through families.
There are two main types of albinism:
Type 1 albinism is caused by defects that affect production of the pigment, melanin.
Type 2 albinism is due to a defect in the "P" gene. People with this type have slight coloring at birth.
The most severe form of albinism is called oculocutaneous albinism. People with this type of albinism have white or pink hair, skin, and iris color, as well as vision problems.
Another type of albism, called ocular albinism type 1 (OA1), affects only the eyes. The person's skin and eye colors are usually in the normal range. However, an eye exam will show that there is no coloring in the back of the eye (retina).
Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome (HPS) is a form of albinism caused by a single gene. It can occur with a bleeding disorder, as well as with lung and bowel diseases.

blondie098

Gray-bearded Member
Wow. If those are real, they are adorable. So sad they are born just to have a timebomb like that, poor li'l guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom