Ahhhh!!! People! And their ignorance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Ferrets are actually mostly legal in CA now.... You can own them, but stores can't sell them (I have no idea why, but that's what my mother tells me, since she still lives there). Most places with anti-animal laws had them put there a hundred years ago for random reasons, I don't know of any states which have recently outlawed exotics. Originally the law was put in place in CA to protect ducks. (I don't know why, none of ours were exactly mighty hunters, unless you happened to be holding a soda can.)

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
People will do what they want to do and say what they want to say. Some people are just ignorant and theres nothing you can do about it. I wouldn't let it bother you to much other then the fact i would be pissed that she would scare my kid and say those things to a lil very impressionable boy. . . that would anger me more then anything. If i was in the right frame of mind and that happeend to me, she would get an ear full. But in anycase, you should tell her not to eat chicken, or even lettuce for that fact. . almsot anything can get you sick now, or cause cancer. . . filling you gas tank, etc.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
dogkiss.gif

kirby

Extreme Poster
lets see her get gingivitis when she finds out, that no matter were you put your tooth brush, its going to end up with fecal matter on it from when you flush the toilet.

Beanie42

Juvie Member
kirby":45c0c said:
lets see her get gingivitis when she finds out, that no matter were you put your tooth brush, its going to end up with fecal matter on it from when you flush the toilet.

thats why men should put the seat fully down!! i'm not bothered coz if you were to over analyse germs they would realise are hands are covered in fecal matter most of the time.

any way i regularry having licking contests with jamie my eldest dragon it's all about building immunity

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I can feel your frustration but at the same time I'm laughing hard. :laughhard: :banghead: :laughhard:

Let me tell you about a sick little story that comes to mind from when I was 3.
Maybe I was just lucky~Luckier than the turtle.

I use to have a little red eared slider about the size of a 50 cent piece to a silver dollar.
Now this is very sick so please don't share it with your kids.

But any-who..............My mom was busy in the kitchen an I had my turtle out of his pond which of course was not allowed without my parents supervision. Well I lost interest while playing with the turtle and forgot I had it out so when my mom came into the room low and behold the turtle was not in its pond. Yikes! And nowhere in sight.... I got spanked and sent to the corner. Okay remember I'm only 3 years old at this time. So I'm now mad :angry5: at this turtle for running off and getting me into trouble.
(3 years old it must be the turtles fault not mine for getting it out) My mom had to run back into the kitchen as she had food on the stove before she could take time to look for this turtle. In the meantime I spotted this turtle and snuck out of the corner to seek revenge for getting me into trouble. I bit this poor little thing in half. (keep in mind I'm only 3 I wasn't trying to kill it only get even)The point I'm trying to make is I never got sick an I bit it in half. So when I hear of salmonella in any of these little creature I laugh. Like I said maybe I was just lucky. Sure some people may have gotten sick from reptiles/turtles before but you have to ask why? Was the reptile covered in his own poo? Does the person that got sick have a very low immune system?.....................................

I kiss my beardies daily and have never once gotten sick and believe me I've been tongued before. :bleick:
If I'm eating a piece of fruit I share it with them too. I take a bit give them a bit and then take another bit still I've never gotten sick.

One of our local pet stores employees are always telling me don't kiss your dragons you'll get sick and then they proceed to show me this poster they have. So what do you think I do? Laugh and kiss them again. I even told them one time that sure if my beardies viv's were as dirty as yours and they had poop caked on them no then I would not kiss them as then I would most likely get sick. You've got more of a chance of getting sick eating at a fast food restaurant because of someone not washing their hands after visiting the bathroom than you do getting sick from your pet reptiles that are cared for properly.

I'm sure that many may disagree with me but this is just my experience. I think I'd have to get sick at least once in order to change the way I feel. :wink:

This doesn't mean that I don't take precautions when it comes to my beardies and children. But I really don't see the reason for people to be overly paranoid about it just have the children wash their hands. :roll:

To the OP I think your neighbor just doesn't like reptiles.

boxers

Hatchling Member
I always heard "Five Second Rule" too. But there's a commercial mentioning the Three Second Rule. I was mighty shocked.

And regarding the ferrets, I was once told (when I was like ten, by a Petsmart associate, when I was discussing how I wanted one but couldn't have one- she said, by the way, that it is very easy to get an exotic animal license or something that makes it legal to have one...) that they were outlawed because California is an agricultural state, and a lot of crops would be damaged if the ferrets escaped/were turned loose, and populated. Which sounded logical, sure, but it's still dumb. I've wanted a ferret for a long time.
I was also told that they are legal to own now because The Governator has one. No idea why we still can't sell them, though.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
It's been almost a decade since I was living in CA with ferrets, but I *believe* what my parents did was get us declared (with some government agency or other... fish and wildlife? Maybe even just the town cops?) a ferret rescue center. All we had to do was sign a piece of paper saying we shipped them out of state once we "rescued" them, we never had to fill out any paperwork showing we were actually doing it (which is good, since we never did), there was no time frame we had to do it in, and the police never gave us any trouble even though I'm pretty sure the entire force knew that they were just our pets.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
fresnowitte":38c8c said:
So what do you think I do? Laugh and kiss them again.
Yes! I kiss my beardies and I always will! There is a chance of getting an illness from EVERY animal, but beardies are played up because they are unique. My babies are out with me all day and ride with me in the car sometimes too; there is no way I am going to wash my hands 100 times a day.
BTW ferrets are such fantastic pets! I lost mine years ago and it still hurts. I think they should be allowed everywhere, but then again I believe there should be some sort of process to get any pet. Some people don't deserve them. (I shouldn't go on that rant now.)
Anyway, I think a lot of people are ignorant about exotics.... and that's fine if they aren't in contact with them. But if they feel they need to say something judgmental to someone they should do their research!

spikez123

Hatchling Member
i agree that knoledge is power. people are more likely to be killed by a horse thane a bear but people still hate bears more. and if we knew them better we would love them. people are more likely to be killed by a ferret than a shaRK. but if people knew sharks better the sharks would prob. be protected. same goes for beardies. you're more likely to drown on your own spit than get killed by a bd.
TOO MANY *****S!!! :banghead:

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
spikez123":61bdd said:
you're more likely to drown on your own spit than get killed by a bd.
LOL.. never heard it put quite like that before.
But then again, with Tatsu's Army on the prowl... some people are goin down!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom