Agni still not eating well

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
it been a month or so since my last post about this subject, and it seems to have gotten worse

he gets around 20 phoenix worms in the morning, which he almost always eats

however, after those, he'll refuse any food at all until its nearly his bedtime.

he also refuses to touch anything that's been dusted with multivitamins. he'll eat calcium powder straight up, but nothing with multivits.

he eats salad sometimes, but rarely all of it. some days he wont touch it at all

when he does eat near bedtime, it's only between 5 and 9 supers.

his pooping has slowed down to every other day, although he is very alert and when I take him out for handling, very active.

he's only 6 or so months old, and hasn't shed in nearly a month. I've seen him rubbing his face on stuff in his tank, but his head is not waxy looking or waxy feeling, so I don't think its actually a shed.

this is starting to worry me quite a bit. any thoughts or advice?

he's been checked for parasites recently, and he's clean

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....how big is he ? And you say he's 6 months or so....is that a pretty accurate guess ? How often does he eat the 6-9 supers ? That would actually be a fair amount of food for a 6 month old. Ideally you might add dubia or crickets to his diet, but the supers are a heavier food item and don't need to be fed in large amounts to be filling. He's probably getting what he needs to maintain his weight, although he could use more variety. Pooing every 2 days is fine. For the vitamins, try using them as lightly as possible. Do you have a picture of him ?

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I think it's fairly accurate. when I bought him from the local reptile shop in Maryland before I moved to PA, he was about the length of my index finger.

right now he's 16 inches snout to tail tip

I've tried putting as little MV dust as possible, but he tastes all his food before he chomps it, so he knows it's been dusted, and he'll refused to eat it.

my avatar picture is fairly recent, only about a month old, a bigger version will appear below

he eats his supers before bedtime quite often, but not all the time. he'll go a full day with only his morning phoenix worms two or three times a week. I make sure to keep his lights on for 2 hours after he eats if it's too close to bedtime.

I would like to offer more variety, but I'm not allowed to have roaches in the house, and crickets are way too noisy, and need to be kept outside in the elements (house rules). I don't have a shed or porch awning or anything to keep them safe from rain or heat or cold. supers, horn worms, and phoenix worms are really my only choice right now. I tried silk worms, but they die off too quickly, and he doesn't like them anyway. horn worms are fairly expensive, but I do try to get him to eat at least one a day. most days he wont

2l3vqp.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, he's a chunky one. :) The amount you're feeding him is keeping him right where he needs to be. He has a bit of surplus fat, so he doesn't actually need any more than he's eating. It would be ideal if he'd eat more greens, keep offering them, and if you could get other bugs at least every 2 weeks. But he is slowing down because the supers are a little fattier than roaches + crix and he is full. He is making the choice as to how much he wants, and it's fine ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom