Aggressive Dragon?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
My dragon Spyro is a baby/juvenile. Approx 3 months old. He was never tough to handle until we had to move. While packing up his belongings, we have to move him to a seperate box. My boyfriends dad roughly and not knowingly picked him up by his tail and then cupped him in his hand to move him to a box. If I was there, this would NOT have happened.

When we got the the new place, I gave Spyro a bath and he was fine in it. Then he was still okay when running around. We had moved him from a 20 gal tank to a 40 gal breeder also. Now, every time we go to touch him, he turns black, puffs out his (small) beard and opens his mouth and jumps at us.

I need help. I can't have an aggressive dragon around my family (kids). How do I get my little baby back?!?

zandi202

BD.org Addict
First I think you did too much moving all at once and should have left him in the 20 before moving him into the 40. He's probably having an overload right now.

I would for the time being block his entire cage so he can't see out to make it feel a little more closed in and make him feel safe. He might be feeling too exposed. As he gets better, slowly take down one barrier, then another, and so on until he can see out all of them again.

Next, wear a shirt for a couple of days, get your sent on it, and then either place over his basking spot or use it as a blanket for him at night. Your smell will help get him reused to you.

Next, always do you you intend to do. If you go in there to pick him up, do it. Don't back down. Do it. If you back down, he will think he won the battle and will only get more aggressive to get his way. I've been bitten by beardies before and it doesn't hurt. It's more of a shock think. Hamsters do more damage than a beardie bite.

Finally, when you take him out to play and exercise, use a play pen or a small, closed off room. Sit in the play pen or room with him and let him get comfortable with you. Once he starts to relax around you, then you can put him back. Good behavior gets him back in the viv and bad behavior keeps him out longer until he chills. It's like time out kind of, but reverse. Eventually he'll get better.

Just give him plenty of time and be patient. He'll come back to you. :D

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The above is some great tips. A little guy probably won't hurt if he bites you, but they can do some damage cones they get bigger.

I agree with zandi. That's a lot of change and excitement for a little guy, it will probably take a while for him to get relaxed again.

Is it possible he got hurt when he was picked up like that?

Make sure the whole family knows to treat him gently. Don't move quickly or grab at him. If you handle him when he is sleepy, after lights out or when he usually starts to fall asleep he will struggle less and hopefully get used to you again. When he gapes at you, you can also try distracting him with bits of greens popped gently into the open mouth.

Omnomnom

Taterbug":2b8zzljr said:
When he gapes at you, you can also try distracting him with bits of greens popped gently into the open mouth.
This has actually worked really well. They sort of don't know what to do when you surprise them like that. xD

Also, reiterating the "don't back down" part. Go to pick him up slow, but steady, and from the front/side where he can see you. Don't grab from above.

Demonica1610

Original Poster
Hey guys I wanted to post a picture of his tail now that we were finally able to hold him for a few mins today. How do I post it? Wondering if it's broke. :(

majyyxx

What really helped with my dragon was a burrito. Just swaddle him in a blanket until his eyes are a little bit covered. He'll feel enclosed and safe and you get to cuddle him until he gets used to your love and affection again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom