Advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are so many different topics about feeding that I'm pretty confused..

I hate crickets.. I had read you can use superworms as a staple food. is this alright?
My beardie is about 1.5 years old. she's 19 inches long. I need some type of advice on what do give her.

keep in mind I'm not able to do the phoenix worms. i have to order out for them and i can't afford that right now.

thank you!

TJeno

Though your beardie is a pretty good size, I still wouldn't recommend feeding him/her mealworms or superworms, especially not as a staple food. If you haven't ever heard of dubia roaches, they're a great staple food! They're really easy to keep and breed, and added with some fruits/veggies you can feed them to your beardie regularly. They're nutritous, and their softer exoskeleton is much easier on the digestive system of a beardie than that of a superworm.

MyLoveThumbelina

Original Poster
I was looking into them.. But I live at home and my mom won't let me get them no matter how much I beg.. she'd rather have the stinky crickets.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Yes you can use superworms as a staple food - I used them with my girl from the time she was 16 inches long and she loved them. They are easy to keep and to breed if you wish. As an adult your dragon can have 25-30 superworms a week, and then a large daily salad of course. If she hasn't had superworms before, start her off slow, with one or two, and make sure she digests them okay before giving her more. As with any diet, it is good if you can offer other types of bugs occassionally for a bit of variety.

MyLoveThumbelina

Original Poster
Thank you very much!
I'm going to try and breed the superworms. I found a website about it and it seems simple.

My girl is eating plenty of greens, but only when i'm not in the room.
I've been a bit worried that her poop is runny though. I'm not sure if that's alright.

battlenation

Hatchling Member
MyLoveThumbelina":27gtf4em said:
Thank you very much!
I'm going to try and breed the superworms. I found a website about it and it seems simple.

My girl is eating plenty of greens, but only when i'm not in the room.
I've been a bit worried that her poop is runny though. I'm not sure if that's alright.
As for the parasites I agree. Are you feeding a lot of fluids in your dragons diet?

MyLoveThumbelina

Original Poster
Well I'm giving her a bath every other day, and she's eating lots of mustard greens.

I haven't yet gotten a test done on here for parasites. I only got her about 3 weeks ago.. and still need to come up with the money.
i hope it's not this. =[

battlenation

Hatchling Member
Is there a foul odor to the stools? If so that could be parasites. Watery stools keep a watch out for that it could of been a lot of water in the diet. Let us know

RCope48

I just lost my beardie last week he was almost 13, for the last couple years he lived on superworms, 2-3 a day and mustard greens and zucchini, I fed crickets about every 3-4 weeks,Was always regular and did quite well. Just got a new little guy a couple days ago, and he's not wanting to eat very much...

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
miloandrufusdragons":2k7oiqda said:
Superworms are good but they should only be fed every other week.

I'm very sure superworms are okay as an everyday feeder as long as the beardie is long enough. Plenty of us on here (including me) feed supers every day and our dragons are just fine :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Superworms are fine to feed daily, always good to have a 2nd feeder though so that your beardie doesn't loose interest. An adult can have 35 supers a wk actually.

You might want to mention to your mom that dubias don't climb and since they breed very easily when kept warm, they are a very cheap & easy feeder to keep.

MyLoveThumbelina

Original Poster
I've tried to tell her that.. She says they're still a roach.. So no go..
I feel bad feeding her superworms all the time though.. She can eat five and still be hungry. I've been feeding her some wax worms to try and fatten her up a bit. She was rather skinny when we got her.

But Today I fed her 4 wax worms, 6 supers, and 4 crickets..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom