advice with hatchling..

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFC

Hatchling Member
I'm not even sure if theis guy is gonna make it through the night, but I would love some advice-

I went to my local reptiles store this mornining to get feeders for the snakes and while the guy was busy with other customers I looked into the beardie cages to see what they had. In once of the cages they had baby (hatchling sized) babies and in one corner there was what I thought I dead baby. I told the guy about it and took it out of the cage to show him. He said that if I wanted to try to help the baby I could take him home since it will be easier for me to give him some tlc. I decided to give it a try... but I would love some advice on what to do. I got some squash flavor and beef flavor baby food.

The baby is super skinny and his eyes are closed. At the store he was barely showing signs of life, but seems to be a fighter. I have given him some water and baby food through a syringe. He hasnt opened his mouth fully, just enough to get a little bit of liquid through. I am keeping him in a small critter keeper and have him under some heat/uvb. he has 'perked' up a bit.. he can lift up his head and has even opened at least one of his eyes. I gave him a little bit of a bath but for now am just leaving him alone.. except when i check on him and try to give him some food.

here are a couple pics of the baby:

mms_picture-1.jpg

mms_picture-2.jpg

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Thank you for taking him home. I am thankful his clutchmates didn't munch on him. It sounds like he is putting up a fight, with your help. You are doing the right things. Getting/keeping him hydrated is the very most important thing. Squash baby food is good, as are green beans and sweet potatos. Turkey or chicken would probably be better than beef. Offering food and water through the syringe is good. The temp for his viv should be about 105-110. I am concerned that in such a small enclosure he will not be able to move out of the heat if he wants to. Is there something larger you could use?
Keep up the good work, and please let us knowhow he is doing. Thanks again for bringing him home. Even if he is too little to make it, he will haveknown love and caring.

LFC

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do have a bigger enclosure.. but he really hasn't been moving much on his own. He isn't directly under heat.. If he makes it through the night then I will move him into something bigger. The only time he really moved was when I was trying to open his mouth to get the food in and gave him a bath.

I am really surprised how much better he is looking just in the few hours that I've had him. I really hope that he makes it- I think he knows that Im trying to help him and for the most part is being very cooperative and patient with me.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I agree. I do think he knows that you are trying to help him, and that you care about him. That might be just what he needs to hold on. I'm so glad you found him! Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll be sending positive thoughts and prayers!

LFC

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well he made it through the night and is looking much better! I gave him some more squash baby food.. he wasn't a fan, but perked up a bit after.

I moved him in to a slightly bigger viv, and he has better heat and uvb.. he can hobble around a bit to either go to the heat or away from it. He has a little bit of a tummy now that hes been getting some food... still skinny, but im sure that once he eats more and gets stronger that will change.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Oh YAY! :blob8: I'm so glad that he made it through the night! Thanks for letting us know. it sounds like you have things well under control. Sending positive thoughts and prayers for his continued improvement. Please continue to keep us posted on his progress.

LFC

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well unfortunately the little guy did not make it through the night. Im sad that he died, but Im not too surprised either. I just hope that he died more peacefully than he would have in the tank full of other beardies.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry that he didn't make it. You did your best. Thank you for getting him out of that awful situation and giving him a chance. He spent his last few days in a safe place where he was loved and cared for. He is fortunate that he was able to go peacefully, as you said. Hugs, Esther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom