Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

zep103

The story so far, we have a female bearded dragon named Keola got her in March last year she was about 8 weeks old. She must be about a year old now, she lives in a wooden vivarium 4ft, 2ft, 2ft she has a heat bulb and uvb strip light which does not yet need changing.

Back in October she was acting stranglely not eating much not poo'in so we took her straight to the vets he had a good look and weighed her and said he thought she was going to lay eggs at this time I didn't know they did this if they hadn't been mated, so he explained we need to put in a lay box and give it 2 weeks. We came home put a box in straight away she did a lot of digging and a couple of days later only laid 2 eggs, we gave it 2 weeks as instructed and took her back to the vets at this point she had not poo'd for about six weeks. They kept her in for a few days she had blood tests and a scan there was no signs of eggs but there was a bit of sand in her tummy (I know what your all thinking she shouldn't of been on sand and I know that now, I removed it straight away and there is now no sand in her viv) the blood tests showed an infection they think it was from her ovaries so they started her on a course of antibodies to fight it. When she came home after a couple of days she got a lot brighter and happier and eventually poo'd and started to eat as normal, she only poo'd about every 1 - 2 weeks but seemed happy and health.

Present day shes now gone 4 weeks again with no poo and she hasn't eaten much in the last week although she is still basking and seems very active, I think she looks a little podgy so think she may have eggs again. I have a lay box in her vivarium which I've put her in but she doesn't do anything in it doesn't even dig.

I plan on taking her to the vets next week just thought if anyone had any ideas or similar experiences of this behaviour people could comment. Thanks all

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
well they can lay up to six infertile clutches a year (sometimes more) so it could well be eggs, but shes not ready to lay them, or she dosnt like the box. I would just say that all strip UVB tubes needs changing after 6 months, so your is definatly due to be changed! It says on the box 12 months, and it does produce 'some' UVB after 6 months, but barely anything and no where near what a beardie needs. What brand are you using? There are many bad ones out there which will affect their appitite and behaviour.

zep103

Original Poster
Hiya
Thanks for the advice I didn't know about the uv I was told when I bought it would definitely last 12 months and was guaranteed sorry can't remember the make will have to look it up and get it changed.
We'r taking her to the vets this week will post what they say. I don't know why she wouldn't like the box I really researched it, it's a good size the right depth easy for her to get in and out I made a little hole to show her what to do and its slightly moist not wet just right the only thing I could think is maybe its not warm enough so I've moved it nearer the hot end, perhaps if she has got eggs she's not ready yet.

As for how often we get her out she has a bath everyday, my boyfriend works nights so he has her out a couple of times and I get her out when I get home from work she likes coming out but she lets us know when she wants to go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom