Advice on shipping my beardie, please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alyel

Juvie Member
I recently moved from New York to Washington and wasn't able to bring my dragon with me at the time. I am thinking about having my parents ship her to me but don't know how to go about doing so. Leaving her in NY is out of question (lol) because she is like my child! I have had her since she was a baby...about 5 years :)
Any advice would be great, thanks.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
There are a couple of companies that ship beardies, I just can't remember the names, but I'll check for you.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
HI Deb, I got your message! :wink:

This is the shipping company I go through... http://www.shipyourreptiles.com
Watch the video on packing an if you have any questions please ask. :)
You can order the shipping supplies, get a quote, and book the shipment through them for a reasonable price.

You will need to consider temps leaving your location, weather on the route to final destination(because of travel and road conditions that might cause delays), and the temps of final destination in order to pack and ventilate properly. I suggest that you contact FedEx in your area so that you may find out which location accepts live shipments.....usually it's the hub last before the airport rather than scheduling a pick-up so your beardie spends as little time in box as possible.

Hope that is helpful!

alyel

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, anyone know about bringing reptiles on a plane with you? Lol my sister and mom are coming to visit in April, and I figured if they COULD, they could bring Drake with them. She has a little carrier I use when she goes to the vet.

alyel

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am looking at the shipping kits on that website you gave me....and I have to ask, how do they BREATHE? Lol. There are no holes or anything. Makes me nervous....

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
alyel":3mhgb7f4 said:
Thanks for the advice, anyone know about bringing reptiles on a plane with you? Lol my sister and mom are coming to visit in April, and I figured if they COULD, they could bring Drake with them. She has a little carrier I use when she goes to the vet.
you would have to talk to the airline most allow small animals as long as they are in a carrier

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
alyel":2ne56sa0 said:
I am looking at the shipping kits on that website you gave me....and I have to ask, how do they BREATHE? Lol. There are no holes or anything. Makes me nervous....

Prepare the shipping box....

Insert the insulating foam panels on the bottom and sides of your box.

Ventilate the box by punching 4-6 holes with a Philips screwdriver. Punch them from the outside in, going through the box and the insulating foam. Do this before you put anything else (especially your reptile) in the box.

These are the instructions given at...

http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/get_help/get_help_shipping_standards/#question-23

However I normally make 6 - 8 holes (temps actually dictate how many holes I put)and on opposite sides of the box to ensure cross ventilation.

alyel

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh thank you! But I don't understand this....

Leave the animal room to move. Use packing material as a cushion, and to absorb any waste.

Bag—Inspect the bag to be sure there are no holes or broken seams. We prefer to use a zip tie to seal the bag for total security (one is included with each shipping kit). Some shippers tie their bags, others use tape and some use a combination of methods. The main thing is you want the bag to be closed SECURELY.

Ok....so does she just go in the box or am I to put her in a BAG first!? Lol Doesn't seem like she would be able to breathe thru a bag lol.

alyel

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Also, they keep talking about this Lacey Act and that they need a receipt of sale and what not. Well, I've had her for 5 years...so this isn't a sale lol she's a pet, and I don't have a receipt. So I'm not sure what they would want.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
For baby beardies I use a container something like a petrie dish/deli cup with many holes punched in it then inside the insulated and padded packing box. With larger and adult dragons like your's I use the snake bags instead of the containers...they are cloth.

Put your box together complete with the styro~foam and vent holes. Then crumple up news paper to pad the box this will cushion her. You also want to crumple up some paper towels or news paper for placing in the bag with her(or if you prefer her blankie). This helps to absorb poop in case she has one during her travels and add comfort. Just before ship time add her to the bag and tie shut. If you are needing to use a heat pack then this needs to be activated before packing her up to make sure it's not a faulty one. I usually give mine about 45 minutes before adding beardie and taping box shut.

Also, they keep talking about this Lacey Act and that they need a receipt of sale and what not.
Who keeps talking about this Act? The airlines? UPS? FedEx?
Are you shipping her out of the United States? I would understand this if she were crossing customs.

alyel

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, thanks. It just freaks me out, sticking her in a bag lol...

On the Ship your reptiles site, it said something about the Lacey Act, that link I was just given.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I will go read it and see what I think.....

This basically means you need to mark the package appropriately.
"WILDLIFE - LIVE HARMLESS REPTILE"
I normally write this on all sides of the box. If you purchase the kit it will also come with.....
"Harmless LIVE REPTILE label" for the interior of your box you may need to add the quantity you are shipping in box too. This goes between the box and styro foam lid. I have never sent a receipt with mine so that's new to me...but you could always just write one up and put it in there. After all it is your beardie. However rarely are the boxes ever opened. I believe it's not only done to keep track of illegal trade, but it is also done in case of accident or if Inspectors decide they need to look closer at the package.

Have you ever ordered Super worms and gotten them in the cloth bag? These are the same bags used by SYR.
It would be similar to breathing through a pillow-case. :wink:

I understand your worries and concerns...it took me several years before I started shipping babies.

You might go to youtube and search for packing and shipping of reptiles for a better idea and visual. :wink:

alyel

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your help :) I feel a little better lol. These darn beardies....they get to your heart like children lol I worry is all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom