Advice on heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

triumphtt

Juvie Member
I'm having an issue on deciding what to use to heat Puff's tank at night. I'm in PA so it's getting colder and his 6' tank is getting to be around 65-70 which is to low for me to feel OK about. Due that its still 40's and I know it will get colder during the day so the heat wouldn't be there over night.

Some of you might have seen my DIY posts and ENCLOSURE posts and know what the tank looks like. Here is a pic anyway since I wouldn't remember someones tank by their name lol
IMG_1008.JPG

Now this is the question I have. I built that hide for him and he used it the first two nights but hasn't used it since (month now) I want him to use it though I didn't spend a week making it for him not to use it. I'm sure it's because it's just to cold under it because the first two nights I heated up the rice pack then wasn't home to heat it the 3rd night and found him on the tiles in his basking spot, which were cold when I felt them when I got home.

So I know the issues with the heat mats and stuff but could it be safER with a rice pack on top of the entire pad?

I'm not looking to heat the entire tank just give him something warmer then cold tile to sleep on. I got a temp gun to check temps since a probe can't tell me how hot the tile gets and all the different areas in this huge tank. I was gonna get a CHE for the entire tank but I don't think it would heat inside the hide.

I also want to use another one for my roach bin. I have one that came with Puff's tank (they didn't use) that's 16 watt and I figured I would try it and keep an eye on it and it's gotten about 90 degrees. It hasn't heated the rest of the bin though only that side. So my next question is Does anyone know the wattage to heat ratio? EX: 16 watt gets about 100 on the surface.
I tried using the rice pack heated up but it's only good for like 10-20 min.
Anyone else have this problem with a hide like mine and heating it. Looking for the experienced people here that have used items that might help me get inside the hide warmer so Puff will use it.

NavyxWife

Hatchling Member
I used a heat mat for mine when he was a baby because it got too cold at night. I got one of those that stick underneath the tank & then I would put an extra layer of carpet over it on the inside. Never burned him & it kept the carpet warm.
You could also try a low night heat bulb. Just put it on the hot side of his tank. Mine has that for night time right now, 70 watt, because it's getting cold & it keeps his night time temp at 70-75, which is just where it needs to be :)

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I got an idea, it would take some modifying to the enclosure though. Get a piece of heating ducting, the section with the curve, some fine mesh metal screening and a CHE or ther type of heating device. Cut a rectangular section from the rear of the hide mount the ducting with the screen mesh over the opening to the opening. supply a heat source to the opposite end of the ducting. Getting a curved piece would allow the heat to raise and travel the ducting and escape into the hide area. Not sure of how effective this would be but, is may work. :?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moved here from General Discussion forum. Please try to pick the forum closely related to the discussion as it makes it much easier for all.

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardednoob":c80n736t said:
I got an idea, it would take some modifying to the enclosure though. Get a piece of heating ducting, the section with the curve, some fine mesh metal screening and a CHE or ther type of heating device. Cut a rectangular section from the rear of the hide mount the ducting with the screen mesh over the opening to the opening. supply a heat source to the opposite end of the ducting. Getting a curved piece would allow the heat to raise and travel the ducting and escape into the hide area. Not sure of how effective this would be but, is may work. :?

Thanks for the idea I don't have to put a tube to go into the hide though cause I have the front and back open in the hide so I could just cut it out and screen it then put the light there.
IMG_0958.JPG

One question though Can those CHE be mounted sideways? I know when I got a MVB bulb it said they need to be mounted straight up and down and not sideways.

I have the enclosure far enough from the wall that I could mount it sideways. Should I just get the lowest wattage since it's a small area?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I would go low wattage, if you have the money you can get a temperature controller for it, this way you can have it kick on when needed only. The reason for the venting would be to capture the heat from the CHE and channel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom