Advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Hi. I have had a cornsnake before, but I only used the mice purchased in little packages at the pet store. I am planning on getting a new one and need to know the best deals on online mice. Mainly shipping costs. Anyone know of a good quality place to get them where you wont get killed on shipping?

Also, I was thinking about getting plastic stacking bins (weight capacity 50 lbs.) and put aspen in them, since having aspen cover the whole floor of my cage would be too messy (I have a side opening door), and because it would give height (since cornsnakes like to climb I thought it would be really cool). Would that work well? And should I put moss in one for when they shed, or just aspen in both and mist the cage when it sheds?

*Edit*- I was wondering if it matters if the bins would be black or clear? I have those two options ans was wondering if one was better for some reason (ie black makes them feel more secure or something). And my plan was to (since the cage is wooden) out the heating pad in the bottom bin. If I put reptile carpet on the bottom and up the sides so the heating pad doesn't touch the plastic will it be okay? Then that will be covered in aspen. I just realized too the snake might get burned by burying itself and sitting on the pad.I guess I can put the pad in a reptile carpet "sandwich". Would that be okay?

Sorry about the long post!

Thanks, Sara

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
As for shipping, it all depends on where you live. I only have one snake (Sangre, who is currently eating just 1 mouse per week) who is on f/t, and I personally find it's cheaper to buy frozen mice from my local pet store.

I don't understand. Are you using the bins as hides? Or on the bottom of the cage?

Humid hides aren't neccessary unless the snake has had troubles shedding or if you are having trouble keeping the humidity up. Otherwise, it's not neccessary. I haven't used humidity hides for any of my snakes, but if they have trouble shedding, I probably would.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yes, the bins would be for hiding. Just 2 stacking bins with aspen in them, acting as hides and aspen holder, and where the heat pad would go. The cage would be a mess with aspen on the whole bottom.

Sara

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Okay. In that case, definitely make them black. It will make your snake feel much more secure.

About the heat pad... yes, be very careful, corns do like to burrow. Putting it under reptile carpet would limit oxygen flow, which means it would overheat. A thermostat would fix that problem.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Alright, thanks.

Ive never used a thermostat before, how do I use it and where can I get a good one?

Sara

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
In theory, you hook it up to the heat pad and it will turn the heat pad on/off when it gets too cold/hot, keeping it at the temperature you set it at. I've never used one either. I use rheostats, which are manual dimmers, but they aren't reliable and can really fluctuate. I wouldn't trust one with a heat pad that is limited on oxygen. You might get home one day to find your house on fire.

As for brands, I know that Helix is highly reccommended. There are a few others I can't remember. You might post a thread in the Enclosures section for some more answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom