Advice for our new adoptee

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Read up on this thread and wishing for the best for spike! His head is really big but with proper care that you're providing I'm sure there's hope! :D

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
*cross posted on my thread in general discussion* :)

Spike is still continuing on the upswing. ReptiSuns should be arriving today, but thankfully we've had plenty of real sun this week, so lots of UVB to go around for both dragons. Spike's eye is open more and more of the time, and while it's still cloudy and he struggles with catching food, he is attempting to track with the eye, so there might be at least a little something there. He definitely seems stronger and is holding his head up more and more as well.

He finally pooped again yesterday, and it looked normal. Very encouraging. The urate was a bit hard, but not overly so. We'll keep up the daily bath for another week or so. He's eating about 7-8 supers a day, with some butters mixed in. Still not crazy about the veggies, but eating some apple and squash. He's definitely LOVING the protein thought. The moment I uncover the bin next to his enclosure in the am, he runs toward that side of the viv, ready! Oh, and it looks like he's going to be doing some shedding on the left side of his mini pancake so good there.

He's a little prince I tell you (which is perfect since we call Cloudy "the princess" -- mama's boy that he is)! lol

Thanks all!

Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Things continue to look up for Spike. :)

The lowdown:

He is stronger now, holding up his head and body a lot more.

He's had three normal, textbook poops! So relieved! (Oh how we love to discuss poop around here! lol)

His appetite is great, feeding him a daily combo of butters and supers with greens and squash. Going for about 50-60 bugs a week in hopes of seeing some weight gain/growth.

His eye is open evermore, and I'm starting to see a bit more under the cloudy surface. He still can't see out of it very well, but I think there is something there because his depth perception is getting better, i.e., catching his food isn't nearly the struggle it was just a few days ago.

He looking ready to shed in a few areas, and his fat pads are starting to bulk up just a bit.

We're so happy with this little guy. He is so dear, and such a trooper, really responding to all the new husbandry and TLC.

We got the ReptiSun a few days ago and installed it. He's good under it for a few hours, but then tends to go into hiding. I think that eye may still be sensitive, so my feelings are mixed. I did install it on the right side of the tank so that the bad eye gets the least exposure, but for now we're just giving it a few hours a day and the rest of the day is spent in the sunny open (with screen of course) window... I figure as long as we have this amazing weather, Spike should benefit from it. The real sun exposure doesn't seem to bother the eye, and he'll keep it open for a good part of the time (off and on as they do) while in the window. Hoping as time passes and the eye gets better, that he'll adjust to the tube--I live in Washington State so we won't be seeing warm sunny days for much longer. lol

Thanks all for keeping up with us! Will post new pics sometime next week. :)

Best,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom