Advice after some "unexpected" eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Hi everyone,
Brief history - Female beardie named Sydney, who is almost 2 years old; Adopted a Male beardie past Oct. This year Sydney has been acting hormonal. We had gotten a lay box ready 4-6 weeks ago when she was digging in the cage more and acting more anxious at times, but she would immediately try to leap out of the lay box and never dug in there. Continued to eat well, so I was hoping we were just dealing with follicles.... and fast forward to today....
Left for a long weekend on Thurs and got back today - had people checking in on the dragons daily. Get home today and I see old dried up eggs in the cage.... She laid 7 that I saw of various sizes, but had some yellow yolk-esque material on her beard and around her head, so I dunno if she ate some, none, or most of the eggs...
The eggs were a light yellow in color w/ some white coloration on them and really hard - is this consistent with infertile eggs that have dried out ? They didn't look particularly like reptile eggs in my opinion, so I dunno if they are super abnormal or just dried out.
She's had a big bath so far and got her some more liquid calcium and then remade a lay box (the crickets had retaken over the last one as that as their old container). She's in it now, but not interested in digging. She is still trying to climb out periodically, but less so than when she was in before a month or so ago, (but I also think she is more tired now). I've tried to help make a burrow with her and so far not interested.
So the big advice I'm specifically looking for (but will take any and all) is how long should I keep her in they lay box ? Would it be better to try and fill a shoebox with the potting soil I have and put it in the tank with her ? Should I just stop worrying and see what happens ? If she still has eggs to lay do you think she'll dig somewhere - cage, lay box, etc ? lol Poor little girl dug so much on the slate tiles while we were gone she wore down several of her front nails :( :( I'm feeling rather guilty about the whole situation now. This is my first experience with eggs in my own beardies...

Thanks for any advice... I'm going to give her a second bath here in a few to get the dirt off and offer her some insects or critical care in a bit.
Carrie

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Took a picture of the eggs - there are actually 8 of them - found one more that was hiding under something in the cage.

2011-05-01_18-35-56_628.jpg

She ate several superworms for me and took a couple ml's of some Critical care too... now she's relaxing in her hammock :)

those are definately infertile eggs. if you look online you can find pics of healthy fertile eggs and do your own comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom