Adult refusing to eat any veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Ok, I have a beardie who is about 5 years old. She's a healthy girl at 22 inches and 520g. But she just won't eat her salads :? I give her a mix of collards, mustards and turnip greens, grated butternut squash and a few blueberries thrown in to entice her (they're her fav). But she barely touches it. I held off on the buggies for at least 2 weeks trying to get her to give in and eat some veggies but no luck. The minute I throw a worm in front of her she's all for it. Grr! Should I just let her do what she wants? Trying to force her didn't really get me anywhere. Does she know what's best for herself like some animals do? I leave a salad in there everyday anyway (and throw it in the garbage every night :roll: ) Any advice? Thanks!

Erin

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
ya know, i'm glad i came across this because phoenix will be a year old next month and he went from demolishing his salads to it being a waste of money for me because like you he will eat a bite or two and then just starve it out until i get home and feed him his roaches.... :roll: they are so crazy sometimes, but they keep us on our toes :)

giving you a bummmmppppppppppp

kariann

Hatchling Member
What if you tried mixing small feeders, like phoenix worms since they're small, in with the salad? A lot of beardies accidentally eat salad this way and find they like it. Other times, dragons will begin to eat their salad when a little squash baby food is added. I've also heard of topping the salad with dried mealworms which have little nutritional value but can catch the eye of a dragon and get them to eat their greens.

Good luck!

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
now i've tried that before but phoenix is smart and he would eat the wormm instead of the salad, he would actually pick around the salad lol

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
I have a three yr old female who point blank refuses all things salad like!

The best thing i have been told to do is make sure the feeders are very well gut loaded, then at least shes getting some veggies through them! I just keep trying new things, change the way i offer them, time of day etc. Sometimes she looks quite interested, then closes her eyes or actually turns around!

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Well, if this is of any consolation, Digger will not touch salads, hasn't in over 5 years, sigh. I blame the meds he was on when he was a year old and had hookworms and pinworms, prior he ate salads (he just never ever ate crickets, won't touch them, thankfully!)

Lord knows I tried all the tricks, the only time he'll get any greens is if I sneak a leaf in his mouth while he gapes. He's been to 2 reptile vets, had all the tests, everything else is ok, just he...wont....eat...salads :banghead: So feeders are butterworms & baby food and sometimes raspberries. He gets his liquid calcium and of course baths and that-is-all-his-royal-pain-in-the-butt-highness will eat.

He's 7 years and 4 months old now and still acts like a juvie, go figure, but he is still my baby and I love hime to death!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
I know what you mean, luckily Gizmos favs are locusts which are super easy to gutload! (she hasnt eating in about 2 weeks though- went crazy slowed down now nothing lol! i think she loves to have me worried!)

NYDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, sometimes I'll throw a super or silkworm in the salad and try and trick her into eating them. But she has pretty good aim when she wants :roll: And let me tell, if she does end up getting a green in her mouth, I get a pretty mean stink eye. Such a diva!

She won't eat crickets either. I just got some silkworms and they eat their chow so I guess that is the best I can do with gut loading them. The supers I feed carrots and a mix of wheat bran and oatmeal ground up. Do you think this is good enough? What does everyone do for the herptivite supplement? Is there a liquid version like the calcium one? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom