Adult. How many Bugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Hello. I adopted a beautiful 1 1/2 year old beardie for our nieghbours :D . He was only being fed 1 super worm a day :shock: I know this isn't enough so I've been giving him 5 or 6 live feeders a day with his greens and squash. His dinner is all greens and squash. Is he getting enough live food? I don't want to over load the protine as I fear for his kidneys, but too little can't be good either, :banghead: . Help please.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
I don't want to over load the protein as I fear for his kidneys, but too little can't be good either,
I am no expert but from what I read on here this is easy to have happen. There are several people on here that have rescued and went through a balancing act of what to give SLOWLY. I'm sure some will chime in soon. Its great to hear you have adopted this one, one super worm is certainly not enough. Won't be long and he will feels as if he is in heaven with you! :blob5: :blob8:

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you very much :D . I try really hard with this little guy. I've upgraded his tank, his lights, just about everything. I follow the 'beautiful dragons' food chart and make sure he gets lots of love and exercise. It's just these gosh darn bugs! :? Sure hope someone gives me some direction to put my mind at ease. Kind of a worry wart :oops:

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
If nobody chimes in PM a moderator and they will help. I know Drache613 is very knowledgeable :D I'm also a worry wort :wink:

Jess

Extreme Poster
I would go every other day with the superworms for an adult, personally. They are very fatty, so you don't want to over do it with them. Plus, they tend to be better salad eaters if they don't get bugs every single day. :wink:

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Live feeders every other day sounds fine, however, how many at a time? 5? 10? 100? :? I may have to contact a moderator, just don't want to be a pest. Get it? Pest? haha, bad joke :roll: Thank you all for your responses :D . I'll stick it out another day and see if I get some bites. :wink:

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
I've heard adults should eat approximately 25 live feeders per week. Mine eats between 3-8 a day, some days 3, some days 8, and averages about 25 a week overall.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Ok, 25 sounds like a good adverage. Hmmm... that may mean I've been feeding too many as I'm looking at about 35 a week. Boy I wish there was more info on adult beardies. I just want the best. Thanks. :D

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
diet depends greatly on age, sex, cycling etc. we feed our males insects once weekly. I place them in the roach bin and they eat what they can in 20 minutes. Females who are stacking on weight will get insects daily.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hmmm... ok, it looks like I need to cut back. My dragon is a very nice 17 1/2 inches long, but he's so narrow. Not at all like the adults I've seen here. I also think he is actually a she. I've tried to get a pic for this site but he/she gets so MAD. The only time Malcolm gets upset is when I mess with the tail. The gender is driving me crazy! The reptile vet is on holiday and won't be back for 2mths! I can post other pics if people just wanna take a guess for fun. Maybe I'll cut the bugs back to 3 a day. that's 21 a week, 14 less then he's been get'n. Opinions?

Jess

Extreme Poster
He is still young, so he has plenty of time to fill out. You don't want him to become over weight either!

IMO 5-7 superworms every other day is a good amount to start out with. If you notice him being picky or refusing salads, cut back a little more.
At this point for Dudley, he gets 3-4 roach nymphs every 2 days. He puts weight on really easily, so it's important for him to eat a lot of salad.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you all for your input. I can honestly say this little one has no problem at all eating his greens. He dives on them like it's a giant cricket! :lol: but I do feel as though I've been over doing the bugs. I'll cut back. I guess I just want him to have variety as his 1st owner only fed him super worms and only one everyday or everyother day :roll:

bonnie

Hatchling Member
when i got rocky last friday, owner had been giving him a bowl of kale daily (yeah, i know!) and 5-6 crickets a couple of times a week. i give him a mixed variety of greens in the morning, and 8-12 crickets in the late afternoon for his supper. i read that juveniles need 80% protein and 20% veggies. he seems to be doing fine on it. not sure when tho am supposed to start weaning down the crickets and giving more greens??

Chirple

Hatchling Member
bonnie":2ht3rxio said:
when i got rocky last friday, owner had been giving him a bowl of kale daily (yeah, i know!) and 5-6 crickets a couple of times a week. i give him a mixed variety of greens in the morning, and 8-12 crickets in the late afternoon for his supper. i read that juveniles need 80% protein and 20% veggies. he seems to be doing fine on it. not sure when tho am supposed to start weaning down the crickets and giving more greens??

I wouldn't worry about cutting back until he stops growing (how old is he ? Is he already an adult ?). Just observe and if he seems to not be shedding so often and is getting much fatter and not longer, you know it's time to change. :)

bonnie

Hatchling Member
Chirple":17anc462 said:
I wouldn't worry about cutting back until he stops growing (how old is he ? Is he already an adult ?). Just observe and if he seems to not be shedding so often and is getting much fatter and not longer, you know it's time to change. :)

he's 10 mos old right now, 15" long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom