Adult Dubia Dying Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Hi all,

I have a fairly large (~5,000) strong dubia colony. This past weekend I cleaned the "feeder" bin, and moved them to a new, larger bin since there are now so many of them. Since that time, I have had a serious die-off problem, but only adults, and most of them seem to be recently turned adults (still somewhat white and soft). I cleaned the tanks on Friday, and on Sunday I pulled 35 dead adult roaches out! Monday, another 5 or 6!!! My breeder bin is still chock full of adults, but I'm worried that there is a problem in the other bin. The humidity was a bit too high in the smaller bin, but could it be too low in this bin? I have a large dish of water crystals and keep the tubs warm and dark at all times (feeder bin in the low 80s, breeder bin more in the 85-95F range). I clean them every couple months, and normally have a few die after a cleaning, but it is normal more of an even distribution (I would guess due to stress?). I have been feeding them on a diet of chicken feed for laying chickens, which they seem to love. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Having an increased die-off of older adults isn't uncommon after a big
stressful event (like moving to another bin during cleaning and such).

Such large numbers though, and with younger ones, is unusual.

Since you say that most of them are recently molted, it does sound
like your humidity may be too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom