Adult dragon won't eat vegies

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmmoses66

I have an adult dragon, about 3 yrs old. He is my first dragon and I have had him less than a year. The previous owner fed crickets, superworms and wax worms. He seems fine on this diet, however he is not very active and does not poop on a regular basis. I have tried coaxing him to eat vegies but he completely ignores anything in a dish and will only bite at them when I wiggle them so that he thinks they are alive. Once he tastes them, he spits them out.
I have tried leafy greens, grated squash, grated carrots, cooked/frozen/thawed squash (my daughters dragon loves it), I even tried various pureed baby foods. He refuses them all.
I have been trying to compensate by gut-loading my crickets with all the things he should be eating.
Any suggestions?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
This may be a bad idea.. but, it's an idea.

Maybe you can marinate or spray the veggies with some chicken stock. It may make them taste like meat. You would want to use low sodium, preferrably organic stock.. but it might just work...

Its a pretty old-school trick to getting a picky snake to eat a mouse.. maybe it would work for a beardie too.
Maybe someone else here has an idea, though :)

Good luck!

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
You can try offering veggies and greens early in the morning as soon as the light is turned on and feed crickets later at 5 or 6 p.m.. If he is hungry before you feed him crickets, he may try to nibble on the greens you put in the cage. You can try hand feeding it to him to see if he would eat. Put veggies and greens in the cage where he can see them, so it would entice him to eat them.

cmmoses66

Original Poster
I have tried having vegies available to him at all times. I placed them where he would have to walk over them to get to another part of his home. He still ignores them. I may try one of the commercial foods, see if I can get him to eat the bites that look like meat but are more vegies than meat. He did eat some canned worms and a grasshopper today. I am trying to get some variety in his diet.

m9g

I'm having exactly the same problem, if you find a solution then please let me know

Regards

M9G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom