Adult Bearded Dragon Diet Suggestions

Kelseyensley

Beardie name(s)
Ramses
I was curious on what's the best diet for an adult bearded dragon? Ramses currently eats greens (turnip greens, little bit of arugula or watercress, and cilantro) daily. I dust her greens 3x a week with calcium supplement and 1x a week with a multivitamin supplement (per a vets recommendation). Now, she doesn't care for bok choy and collards. Her favorite greens was endive and escarole, but my local grocery store discontinued it. For proteins, she will only accept worms (mealworms and superworms) every 48-72hrs since they are not fast or jumpy. I tried giving her crickets and Dubai roaches, but since they are too fast + jumpy for her, she doesn't care for them. What do you give your beardie?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, what are Ramses weight + length and can you post pics of her ? It sounds like she's doing good with her salads but need a change on the insect diet. It's common for beardies to hold out for super or mealworms but if you hold off for a while she will eventually settle for the dubias. As for crickets , if you pull off the back legs they are much less mobile and can not jump.

Last edited:

Kelseyensley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ramses
She’s 18-19inches long. No idea on her weight (have no way of checking). I tried feeding her roaches five days straight when she was a juvenile and she refused each time. I’m not a huge fan of crickets either since they do get loose and i personally don’t feel comfortable ripping legs off of creatures. So I will avoid them entirely.

Attachments

• IMG_9454.jpeg
    IMG_9454.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 25

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks pretty good but then she's in pancake mode in the pic. :) The thing with superworms + mealworms is that they are more fatty and less nutritious. The suggestion to hold off from feeding her is just that, a suggestion, so that your dragon can have a healthier diet. A dragon won't starve to death when we do a bit of " tough love " which can take a while for them to kick in and accept other feeder insects. You can also try silkworms as a different option.

Kelseyensley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ramses
This is the other photo I have taken of her recently since she came out of brumation. Shes currently hiding in her cave since I put her in a new enclosure yesterday, so I have no way of getting a photo of her right now. I will try silkworms though! I don’t think she’s had those before.

Attachments

• IMG_9261.jpeg
    IMG_9261.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 38

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks pretty good, snuggle mechanism seems to be working fine. :)
So now is the time to be careful of weight gain so watch that the insect feedings aren't too much or too often. Silkworms could be a good addition if she's not too picky.
For veggies you can add kale to the mix, some shredded squash once a week also fresh green beans.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, maybe you can update if + when she gets the silkworms and how she likes them as well as the new veggies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom