Adopted Beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickin

Hello guys! So i recently adopted a new beardie. His old owner was moving and couldn't take him with her so I decided to take him in. I already have three of my own and its becoming an addiction! lol anyways, she did mention due to personal reasons she didn't have him on any kind of schedule and he has lost some weight. I've had him for a few days and he hasn't eaten anything. I realize he may be stressed from relocation and all the changes. Does anybody have any tricks or tips to encourage him to eat again? How long should I wait before I need to worry from lack of eating? All my other beardies are ravenous eaters so this is new to me. Thanks for any feedback. Also she used a all in one heat and UVB bulb in his tank before but I wasn't too familiar with those. Are they any good? I switched and he is a reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb and a reptisun heat bulb. His tank is 105 on hot side and about 85 on the cool side. I've been offering him salads and dubias and superworms. He's eaten about two worms since I've gotten him. Any feedback or help would be awesome! Thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The stress of a move can certainly affect their mood and appetite for a while. I'd just make food available and give him some space to settle into his new home. I would keep other dragons out of sight as they may wind up adding to the stress of the move. He can probably go for a while without food depending on his age. Do you know how old he is? How big is he? Some of the all in one bulbs are good but I prefer using the UVB tubes and a separate basking light so you have independent control over the temperature and UVB exposure in the tank. (the all in ones are great for portable basking areas and travel). I would keep the setup as you have it for now and just give him a week or two to settle. Try some hand feeding after a while and see if he takes to that. Sometimes that can help form a bond. Don't be forceful with it though.

nickin

Original Poster
He’s two and half years old. He seems small to me but maybe that’s just cause one of mine is huge. He’s about 16 inches long with tail according to my hubbys estimation. Don’t have a ruler. Lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK. An adult should be fine not eating for a while while they settle. I would offer a salad every day and try to get him eating that. Just rotate what you offer depending on what looks fresh at the store. Leftovers can go to the bugs. I offer my adult a bug meal only once or twice per week and he eats mostly veges which is the goal. Try cutting some yellow or green squash into worm shapes and see if he'll take those from your hand. I've had good luck starting with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom