Adding pelleted food to greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
I've had several people in the stores ask me about this, so I figured I would share the technique here as well! :)

Basically, this is an easy way to add a little bit "extra" to your beardie's diet, with the addition of pelleted food and canned diets specially formulated for beardies.

I start with a mix of greens and some cheese-grated veggies. What I offered today was kale, cilantro, romaine lettuce, grated squash and grated carrots.

Then I soaked the pelleted foods in some water until they were mushy and fallen apart, and then mixed in canned omnivorous lizard and tortoise food, in addition to canned iguana food and red banana mixins. I used these canned diets because this mix was also offered to some other species of lizards and tortoises, but there is no reason the beardies in the store can't eat some too.

Using your hands to mix it up feels very much like being a 5 year old making mud pies.

Blue tongue skinks relish the same kind of veggies that beardies do, and here is an example of what the blue tongues get - this mix also had some canned snails added in.

Clearly, they were thrilled!

We only had a couple of tiny baby bearded dragons to eat the food, and I am still learning to use the new store camera, so unfortunately none of those pictures turned out. :( But our Uromastyx were thrilled!

Pretty much, the goal is to mix everything up so that the greens are coated in both canned and pelleted food, so that when your beardie eats the greens they also get the diet as well. This technique of mixing it up can also entice stubborn feeders that don't like their greens, as the canned diets smell pretty delicious and are brightly colored - big hits with stubborn eaters!

I hope you found this helpful, this technique has helped some of our store customers immensely, and we do this a couple times a month to help add variety to the animals' diets. Thanks for reading!

-Jen

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
For picker iguana eater, I used to soak rabbit pellets in a little fruit juice to make it mushy. I supposed you can do the same with the bearded dragon pellets.

MODragons

Another thing I'm doing is gut loading Dubia roaches with the pellets, my guys supposedly ate pellets exclusively for 4 years but now won't touch 'em. I grind them up really fine and the roaches and/or crickets will eat them, then of course the BDs eat the roaches/crickets. I'm still hoping to get my guys to start eating greens, I'm gonna look into some canned food like you've mixed up and see if anything inspires them. I have handfed them raw yellow squash but never microwaved it or softened it.....I'll try that too.

Nice pictures!

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys!

This is definitely one of the perks of working here, we get to try all kinds of things to see what works and what doesn't. We've never had an issue with animals refusing to eat the greens for a long period of time; they may skip one or two meals, but eventually they do start eating the greens.

-Jen

szubelak

Juvie Member
Do you put your food right on the substrate? With loose substrate do they ever end up accidentally eating some of it?

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Original Poster
szubelak":1hohy6q8 said:
Do you put your food right on the substrate? With loose substrate do they ever end up accidentally eating some of it?

We either put it in their mealworm dish for babies, or for adults put it right on the substrate. Ingestion happens, but it's not an issue. The reason we use sani chips is because they can pass them right through. In 15 years of using sani chips, we've never had a problem with impaction, so we continue using them! :)

-Jen

szubelak

Juvie Member
LLLReptile":sv90xamg said:
szubelak":sv90xamg said:

We either put it in their mealworm dish for babies, or for adults put it right on the substrate. Ingestion happens, but it's not an issue. The reason we use sani chips is because they can pass them right through. In 15 years of using sani chips, we've never had a problem with impaction, so we continue using them! :)

-Jen

I've never heard of sani chips or seen them - what are they made of? what type of reptiles (other then uros) can they be used for?

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The sani chips (on our website as "habi chips") are what we use for any animal that needs moderate to low humidity. Works for everything from cornsnakes to beardies to sulcata tortoises. They're a type of chipped aspen, lightweight, easy to clean, doesn't smell...at least not until your beardie poops on it. :)

-Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom