Activated Charcoal and fireflies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I have been doing some research and found a Vet in Virginia who says that if a dragon accidentally ingests a firefly, which are lethal to dragons, and its early enough, you can administer activated charcoal to bind the toxins which may give you time to get your dragon to a vet for care and supportive care. If this is so, then maybe a beardie can be saved by keeping activated charcoal in your first aid kit for your animal. You would simply mix a bit with water and it will make an inky looking mess, then give immediately by syringe to your dragon then rush him to the vet. I don't know that this would work, but it could not hurt as the dragon has already ingested the firefly. We don't have fireflies in my part of Colorado so I am not concerned about mine ingesting them, but there are parts of the country where fireflies are very prevalent and its possible a dragon could ingest one. It cannot hurt to try to get activated charcoal into his/her system immediately.
Firefly Toxicity

The ingestion of fireflies of the genus Photinus can be lethal to bearded dragons.14 (Glor et. al., 1999). Fireflies contain steroidal pyrones called lucibufagens that are cardenolides. Cardenolides are cardiac glycosides that cause inhibition of sodium, potassium and ATPase activity in cardiac muscle, resulting in stronger myocardial contractions and a decreased heart rate. These Photinus are very toxic to bearded dragons. Eating one firefly may kill an adult bearded dragon.14 Butterflies, such as monarch and queen butterflies, may also contain these cardenolides and should not be fed to bearded dragons or other lizards.

Clinical signs associated with ingestion include gaping and head shaking, color changes from tan to black, dyspnea, and rapid death within several hours of ingestion. No gross changes are typically noted at necropsy.14 If presented early enough, treatment would include attempts to minimize absorption of the toxin by gavaging with activated charcoal and providing support for shock.
http://www.vetlocator.com/newsarticles/pet_lizard_conditions.php
Activated charcoal binds toxins therefore you can use it for other toxic ingestions, it cant hurt but could possibly help till you can get to a vet. I am not guaranteeing anything with activated charcoal but if your dragon has already ingested a toxin or poison, it will not hurt to get some into the animal, it may save a life. Activated charcoal can be gotten at most drugstores without a script. Its not expensive and can be lifesaving. The key is getting it into the animal quickly then getting to a vet.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I am bumping this up since summer is fast approaching and beardies are able to get outside. This may save a beardies life. Drache613 <Tracie> sells nice activated charcoal kits inexpensively at Bug-De-Lite. I bought 2 kits to keep on hand, if they don't get used, I have the peace of mind I have them for a just in case.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Tonja,

Thanks for posting this. I agree that many will have trouble with fireflys this time of year!
Let's hope that there wont be any deaths from them though.
I am glad you liked your charcoal kits! :D

Tracie

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I certainly hope there are no deaths from fireflies. Yes, I love the kits, they are very well done. I just hope those prone to fireflies take heed and get a kit, you just never know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom