Acting strange, not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the past 2 weeks my juv. bearded dragon 1 year old about hasn't been regularly eating. He will take some food when I kind of force feed him, He was pretty lazy but is now getting very active again, he pooped yesterday and it was a mess, but I am kind of betting that one on not having much food. We don't have a scale so I cannot weigh him, but he seems very dehydrated even though I am bathing him daily. Not sure what is going on, some tips/advice would be great!

*** Edit I think I should also include when I offer him hand fed roaches he like licks at them but he doesn't eat them.

*** Edit #2 Still looking for advice 2/3/14

mortitia

Hatchling Member
Hi
There is an excellent article on the right hand side of this page that you may find useful

Marie x

slstelfox

Hi there, I've had the same thing going on with my youngest one. She's about 7 months but has behaving like this for the past 2. She has also had awful problems shedding and has lost several toes due to the shed getting infected. After I took her to the vet and had her checked out and antibiotics etc. I'm certain it's brumation. It's never a good idea to force feed. I can tell you that since the vet visit, I've been doing a daily soak in lukewarm water, my dragon will drink quite a bit soaking, this will help with hydration. She is now eating a few superworms a day, which is helping her. I've noticed her scooting about more now. Hope this helps :eek:)

Beardie321

Original Poster
slstelfox":27woij1u said:
Hi there, I've had the same thing going on with my youngest one. She's about 7 months but has behaving like this for the past 2. She has also had awful problems shedding and has lost several toes due to the shed getting infected. After I took her to the vet and had her checked out and antibiotics etc. I'm certain it's brumation. It's never a good idea to force feed. I can tell you that since the vet visit, I've been doing a daily soak in lukewarm water, my dragon will drink quite a bit soaking, this will help with hydration. She is now eating a few superworms a day, which is helping her. I've noticed her scooting about more now. Hope this helps :eek:)

Well thank you this is good information.

Beardie321

Original Poster
Still looking for some information on this.
-has anyone ever had this happen before, what was the turnout?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Can you give a run down on your habitat setup? Temperature, supplements, UVB (type, age and distance), what foods you are offering other than roaches? Has he been basking or spending most of his time sleeping? What activities are "off" recently from his normal?

When you say his poo was a mess, can you be a little more specific? Parasites can cause digestive upset but so can some foods.

Beardie321

Original Poster
Taterbug":99dknvya said:
Can you give a run down on your habitat setup? Temperature, supplements, UVB (type, age and distance), what foods you are offering other than roaches? Has he been basking or spending most of his time sleeping? What activities are "off" recently from his normal?

When you say his poo was a mess, can you be a little more specific? Parasites can cause digestive upset but so can some foods.

Sure
1.90-100 getting a CHE to make it 100-110
2. He gets different kinds of rep cal. The blue and pink, sorry it is late here, I can't remember what they are called.
3. 10.0 reptisun months old distance 6-8 inches
4. Other than roaches? Slurries-greens,fruits he will eat the slurrie and he loves it
5. He isn't sleeping any more. I am noticing he is very active from like lights on till like 5 then he just lays under the light head down awake but tierd almost.
6. Activities? Really just not going crazy/eating roaches
7. It just like fell apart in the water, but it didn't smell that bad. It has happened before, also the water was very warm. I just figured I would include that.

Thanks for the help!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It sounds like he has just been slow and sleepy lately? Have you read the brumation article http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/? It sounds like it could just be having a little slow down for winter. If he isn't eating solid food, he could have loose poo from that.

If you are still worried about him, you could take him in to the vet for a check up.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Hello Ryan,
Yes, it sound like he is just slowing down a bit for the winter. If you are concerned about parasites you could get a fecal test done.

sue09

Hatchling Member
A CHE is for nighttime heat not daytime,your beardie needs bright light to bask under a normel household spotlight will do the job,hth.

Beardie321

Original Poster
sue09":36lt3903 said:
A CHE is for nighttime heat not daytime,your beardie needs bright light to bask under a normel household spotlight will do the job,hth.

Thank you, I meant that I was getting a CHE for night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom