acclimation process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, i’m new to this forum and would like some advice.. I just got two beardies and Astro got acclimated pretty quickly, he’s still not eating every day but he’s definitely getting more comfortable every day. On the other hand, Rexus is having a VERY hard time acclimating.. I’ve known these dragons for six months now (i work for breeders and i bought two from them) Well they have a huge cage and the UVB and heat is all correct i’m just starting to worry because Rexus is not eating.. I got him Tuesday so it’s been three days and i know that’s not super long but he’s also turning black??? I don’t understand why he is so uncomfortable… What are some of your recommendations??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If they are together separate them immediately-- the black beard means hes in distress --- dragons should NEVER be kept together --- please go over the UVB brand and bulb basking temps how your taking them

ayeitsemmaa

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2j8ktp0p said:
If they are together separate them immediately-- the black beard means hes in distress --- dragons should NEVER be kept together --- please go over the UVB brand and bulb basking temps how your taking them

Oh no they are not together lol!! I know dragons are not supposed to be housed together. I have a 10.0 reptisun UVB bulb that stretches over the entire cage. The basking spot is 110 degrees and their colder side is at 80 degrees. I work with breeders and they taught me everything that they do!! I put up a background on his cage today and he’s been trying to like run onto it and that’s when i noticed he had a black beard… it’s making me really sad because the cage is huge and he has an amazing set up he just seems uncomfortable:( i wish i could post a picture to show you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
I would try and get that basking temp down most older dragons do not like real hot - try and set up a gradient heat for him so he can pick a spot to bask at - a good piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand lean against or lay on 95-100 temp

ayeitsemmaa

Original Poster
111812-3760766932.jpg
KarrieRee":w1a4ajd9 said:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
I would try and get that basking temp down most older dragons do not like real hot - try and set up a gradient heat for him so he can pick a spot to bask at - a good piece of decor that offers different places to sit stand lean against or lay on 95-100 temp

They aren’t even a year old yet, and the breeders have all of their dragons at 110 degrees.. He’s comfy under his heat lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is the UVB a T 5 or a T 8 bulb--- they require certain distances

ayeitsemmaa

Original Poster
KarrieRee":y3fpmrmo said:
Is the UVB a T 5 or a T 8 bulb--- they require certain distances

They are t5HO bulbs. The breeders made a contraption where it holds the UVB and the heat light at the same time. it’s awesome and it works for ALLLLL of their other dragons.. I know the lighting is correct.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just checking on distance for the UVB should be 12-15 inches for it - we always go over lighting w/ people usually that is the culprit --- not sure why hes doing what hes doing - the black beard is not good - they will go thru relocation stress but if temps and lighting are all correct and he cant see the other dragon and hes not being bothered by other animals in the house its hard to say what the cause is --- I would give him some time and see if that black beard goes away --- his eating may be off for the next week or so as well --- just keep an eye on him and see what he does -- some others on here might have some more ideas for you

ayeitsemmaa

Original Poster
KarrieRee":287llpdv said:
Just checking on distance for the UVB should be 12-15 inches for it - we always go over lighting w/ people usually that is the culprit --- not sure why hes doing what hes doing - the black beard is not good - they will go thru relocation stress but if temps and lighting are all correct and he cant see the other dragon and hes not being bothered by other animals in the house its hard to say what the cause is --- I would give him some time and see if that black beard goes away --- his eating may be off for the next week or so as well --- just keep an eye on him and see what he does -- some others on here might have some more ideas for you

Oh i totally understand asking about the lighting i’ve seen a lot of people not have the correct lighting!! His black beard has gone away for now it was just super weird, he went from like jumping on the side glass and it looked like he was trying to go into the background LOL… But yeah i’ve been giving him space and the other dragon is below him so he can’t see him at all! When i first got him he only wanted to be in the corner now he’s just chilling under his heat light.. If he doesn’t eat should i force feed him or should i take him to the vet.. I’ve been reading a whole bunch of different answers for that and would like to know what you would do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No not unless he gets real lethargic etc--- give him a week then start keeping track of his weight -- weigh him on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams - if hes losing weight then there is a issue--- what are you feeding him?

ayeitsemmaa

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1734vu6u said:
No not unless he gets real lethargic etc--- give him a week then start keeping track of his weight -- weigh him on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams - if hes losing weight then there is a issue--- what are you feeding him?

Okay yeah he’s not lethargic or anything and i give him a salad with collard greens, green pepper, yellow squash, zucchini, string beans, and radishes! For their protein i give them superworms. same as the breeders !

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Super worms are not really a good staple --- I would look into getting some dubia roaches crickets or some silk worms --- supers horn meal butter worms are all good treat worms --- supers are real fattening horn are a good hydrating worm butter worms are good for treats wax worms are real fatty and should be fed sparingly too many of them can cause liver issues - and I would cut the radishes out as well --- here is a website for reference kale is a good staple feeder ignore the kale thing
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's very likely either relocation stress or just him being a hormonal spazz. It's common for males and even females at times to go through a phase like this in a new home. Their temperaments can vary quite a bit. He's probably fine, let him settle in for a while, it can take a couple weeks or even a month or more. And if he's very hormonal his restlessness can come + go through the breeding season.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, he is most likely adjusting to being rehomed. Also, they do go through hormonal
phases, too. Do you have a male & female, or two males?
Since you are using the T5 tube a good distance is 10-12 inches, alongside of the basking
spot.
I would give him some time to get adjusted to his new surroundings. It shouldn't take too long
for him to get more comfortable.

Tracie

ayeitsemmaa

Original Poster
AHBD":7911rpzr said:
Hi there, it's very likely either relocation stress or just him being a hormonal spazz. It's common for males and even females at times to go through a phase like this in a new home. Their temperaments can vary quite a bit. He's probably fine, let him settle in for a while, it can take a couple weeks or even a month or more. And if he's very hormonal his restlessness can come + go through the breeding season.

Okay, Thank you so so much for all of your help:) i really appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom