About how many dubias will a baby dragon eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I'm not really sure where to put it

So I'm considering getting another bearded dragon this January(we have 2 adults right now) and it's been since I got Scout in August of 2010 that I had a baby dragon since we got Riza as an adult, and I know when I had him he was eating <100 crix a day. I've got a fair sized dubia colony which I started almost a year ago, but has been really starting to pic up since April(because at some point all my males but one got fed off so I had to wait for nymphs to grow up and breed and etc, and now there are a ton)

there's a pic of it just so you can see about how many there are just on one side of their several egg crates(which are packed usually and there are a lot crawling on the ground)

Anyway, I know it can vary from baby to baby, but generally aren't baby beardies little eating and pooping machines? I just don't know how many roaches a young baby(maybe a 5" long kid) will eat. I feed our adults a mix of Dubia and Superworms, and my leopard gecko eats soley dubias, but he doesn't eat enough to put anything close to a dent in the population.
I guess I'm just curious how much dubias a hatchling can typically eat(50 a day? More? Less?) and am hoping that my colony will be enough to supply one plus our adults and my leo.
If I get a baby dragon, it will be around the 22nd of January from the Reptile Expo

Zaxtor99

Hatchling Member
I've only had my beardie 9 days now, and never owned any other reptile before. Today, as I posted in a new thread moments ago, he ate a total of 47 dubia nymphs. This was by far his biggest eating day thus far, so I don't know if it will go down tomorrow and today was an abnormality, or if tomorrow it will be 75, lol. I guess we will see. 47 seems like an insane amount to me, especially considering how filling and how much protein dubia roaches are supposed to have.

I am also trying to breed dubais now, and just for this little guy. Only got 4 adults now, 3 females and 1 male and one the females is starting to spit out an egg sack, but it still gonna be a good while before i have any baby's big enough for our beardie to eat. So any advice you have about the breeding would be great, hehe.

Anyhow I will keep you posted if he continues to increase his daily intake of dubia nymphs. :shock:

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
At the small to medium dubia sizes - a growing juvi can eat anywhere from 40-60 (sometimes more if he's a big'un) a day.

Once he grows up enough to handle the larger nymphs (inch+ upwards to adult males), the total quantity will decrease some as they are more filling than little buggies.

A nice round estimate [from my experience at least] is that you need about 50 adult females per baby/juvi dragon, and about 15-20 adult females per adult dragon. That typically lets you fully feed from the colony and still maintain a growth/aging/dieoff leeway for the colony.

I've got no idea how much leo's eat, so adjust accordingly for that.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks~ I'll see about getting a quick estimate of how many females I have. I have a good amount of them, though, and a ton of adult males(which I typically feed Scout and he can eat about 4 or 5 of them before he's done, along with some superworms to add some variety, which I don't feed more than 8 a day to if I'm not adding dubs in with it). Since my colony has been solid for about 8 months, (but about a year old), I think it should be fine, though, and my leo eats typically 6 small/medium dubias a day/every other day before he turns his nose up at them... he's a weird eater....only likes being tong fed.

I might also pick up another container of dubias from the reptile expo if I am allowed/do decide on getting another beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom