A superworm AND dubia colony? Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about whether or not it would be possible to house a superworm colony and a dubia colony together. Since both are roaches and have close to the same environment requirements is it possible to house the two colonies together? I know I probably sound crazy and maybe the idea is stupid, But it would be really cool to just have the two together in a joined colony and would definitely help get my husband on board with the idea. Also, do you think that a dubia could climb out of a kiddie pool? I would think not because its smooth plastic but I'm planning on setting up a kiddie pool to grow grass and wildflowers and greens in for my beardie and sulcata to play around in and munch and was considering usually giving him his roaches whilst in there but if he decided to ignore them I'd rather they not be loose in my house haha. :lol:

derangedplanet

Original Poster
That's really cool. I love the idea but it might be a little high maintenance for me. I was thinking more along the lines of having a bucket/bin of oats inside the dubia colony bin. most likely their would be no dubia able to get inside the superworm thing but I have a feeling the superworms would be getting out via their parents laying eggs. I dont know, but its good to know the super worms will clean up after the beetles. Question, can the superworm beetles be fed to a beardie too or those off limits. I havent started a colony for either yet.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The beetles lay their eggs in the substrate so if they can't get out the larvae wouldn't either.

Beetles are edible but the shell may be too hard, and they I've off a defensive smell that is probably gross tasting too. Pepper never eats the beetles that I've seen.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a couple of superworm beetles in my dubia tank and they seem to do OK there. They are pretty aggressive though and I've seen them attacking/eating an injured roach. The dubia LOVE to eat the superworm substrate so you may find that they'll go through it quickly and the supers may not have enough to live in. I keep the worms separate in a small plastic tote bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom