A quick intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitbull

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum and Bearded Dragons. I got my dragon (Jub-Jub) a few weeks ago. I've been thinking about getting one for quite some time now. I had an empty 40 gallon breeder that was just calling for one. So, while we were at a herp show in the beginning of Dec., my girlfriend bought one for me, along with all the supplies, as an early Christmas present. I've learned quite a bit from reading posts. Shortly after I got him home, I took him to the vet and found out he had coccidia. He's almost all the way through his treatment, and is feeling much better. I've also been playing with the lighting. I started with a Repit Glo 10.0, then switched to a Repti Sun 5.0 (all the store had), and I just ordered a Repti Sun 10.0. I was also using a Fluker thermometer to measure the temp of his basking spot. It read at about 110 with the dimmer switch down a little bit. I ordered a digital therm over the weekend, and borrowed a friends in the mean time. Using the digital (infra red), I found out that his basking spot was only at 95. So, I turned the dimmer all the way up, and got it to 105. I'm going to check it again tomorrow. If that's as high as it will go, I'm going to get a larger bulb. I have a 100 watt Zoomed right now, and I'll use the dimmer to adjust it. Whew, didn't mean to get so long winded. Anyhow, hopefully I'll have him all straight this week. It's been quite a learning experience. Here is a pic of my little guy taking a bath.
standard.jpg

What's a dimmer and what kind of light housing are you using? I'm having trouble getting my heat up with a regular 100wtt clamp light and the reptisun 10.0 in a clamp light.

pitbull

Original Poster
I'm using a Zoomed professional series clamp lamp. The cord to the dome has a dimmer switch built into it.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Hello and welcome to the board :) Just a note - if you do end up needing to upgrade your heat bulb, you can use a regular lightbulb or a halogen flood light (my preference because it kicks out more heat per watt), no need to pay extra for a pet store heat bulb when those others do the same job and cost much less.

pitbull

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to change the bulb. The 100 w basking light only gets the temp to about 104, and that's directly under the light. Move a couple of inches either way, and it drops off. I think I'll try a 100 w halogen, that should take it up to 110 or so. How are the PowerSun bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom