A question for the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lock1888

I have a 75gal tank on the hot/ basking side I have 2 150w heat lamps. and on the cool side I have a reptisun 10.0 compact in a deep reflective dome. The guy at Petco said that would be find. Here is my question. I had the uvb and uva all on one side the hot side and nothing on the cool side. He said Not to have Uvb and Uva heat all on one side he told me to split it up half of the cage is basking and heat the other half has the reptisun 10.0. Is this correct?

kimmie

Sub-Adult Member
That's how mine runs as well - 36" uvb fixture & tube running length of viv and basking light at the left end of the viv.

Lock1888

Original Poster
kimmie":13dnni0a said:
That's how mine runs as well - 36" uvb fixture & tube running length of viv and basking light at the left end of the viv.
What kind of lights are you running and what do you use for basking as far as a rock and what are the temps.
Thanks for all the answers as well. My reptisun 10.0 compact in deep reflective dome covers the cool side of the viv. I just want to get this right so my buddies are happy. pics soon.

Okiemavis

Ideally you want uvb bulb to span most of/all of the tank if it's florescent. What wattage bulb is the one you have? Florescent bulb's UVB depth penetration usually goes about 8"-10" into the tank, so you have to make sure your beardie has a basking point within 8" of the light bulb.

I generally recommend Mercury Vapor (MVB) for deeper tanks like yours, as there is better depth penetration from this type of bulb. Also, I like getting heat and UVB in one spot cuz that way I know whenever my guy is basking he's getting plenty of UV rays too. It's just amazing how much UVB can effect their appetite, energy levels etc.

Lock1888

Original Poster
Okiemavis":1e4d2rhi said:
Ideally you want uvb bulb to span most of/all of the tank if it's florescent. What wattage bulb is the one you have? Florescent bulb's UVB depth penetration usually goes about 8"-10" into the tank, so you have to make sure your beardie has a basking point within 8" of the light bulb.

I generally recommend Mercury Vapor (MVB) for deeper tanks like yours, as there is better depth penetration from this type of bulb. Also, I like getting heat and UVB in one spot cuz that way I know whenever my guy is basking he's getting plenty of UV rays too. It's just amazing how much UVB can effect their appetite, energy levels etc.
Should I use two mvb since I have two beardies in that viv?

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
How are your temps with 2 150 watts? That seems like a lot. That's more than what I use for my 260 gal.

Lock1888

Original Poster
ziggy23":3zz90jhv said:
How are your temps with 2 150 watts? That seems like a lot. That's more than what I use for my 260 gal.
I really appreciate the advice as always. I acquired these beautiful animals from a friend who is in the military so needless to say I was more than ill prepared. I knew about the dragons I did lots of reading and research. I always wanted one but got two lol and one 75gal tank. I am going to split them up as soon as I can afford a nice double tank preferably one with the lighting already set up. My temps on the warm side get to 95 and the basking 101-105. I do have some growing issues with the female she is the same age as my male 1yr and half the size. I do keep my apartment cooler than most which is why I think I am having trouble with the temps. on the cool side of the tank it barely gets over 70. I am at a loss here. I want them to be happy and healthy and they do seem that way, except I should separate them.

Thanks again and anymore advice would be great.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
On the subject of where you would want to keep a UVB, if it goes to say that you are not using any kind of MVB, you'll want to keep the UVB as close to the hottest part of the cage as possible.

Like, for example, I keep my ReptiSUN 10.0 flourescent tube 18" just underneath the 100watt basking bulb. Or in other words, I do not recommend keeping the UVB on the cool end.

Reptiles actually need the heat to help break down the vitamins absorbed by UV radiation, especially provitamin D3 that is absorbed by UV lighting and any D3 supplementations that you may offer, into previtamin D3 and so on and so forth.

Here is a wonder diagram that exemplifies this. I also recommend reading this website if you have the time.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/vitdpathway.htm

cashrokxsz

Juvie Member
it depends on their age. if theyre little, den its better to have it on the same side so they can get uvb while they bask. theyre basking like 24/7 anyway. ang honestly, the compact bulbs r a no no, they can b harmful to a bearded dragon, put out a dangerous amount of uvb, and they stop producing uvb after 3 to 4 months. i suggest getting a strip light or a megaray or powersun mvb flood light.

Lock1888

Original Poster
cashrokxsz":3nuhwcak said:
it depends on their age. if theyre little, den its better to have it on the same side so they can get uvb while they bask. theyre basking like 24/7 anyway. ang honestly, the compact bulbs r a no no, they can b harmful to a bearded dragon, put out a dangerous amount of uvb, and they stop producing uvb after 3 to 4 months. i suggest getting a strip light or a megaray or powersun mvb flood light.

I have power sun mvb? good or bad

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Powersuns are nice and I've had no problem with them - actually, I've had excellent results! Beautiful colors and active (I use one on my female)

I use the 160 watt. In the past, the 100 watt Powersuns were said to have some minor problems.

But there is also the megaray (as stated above). Every bulb has different qualities, but there is nothing wrong with using the Powersun. I like it =D

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Lock1888":2ljzgmpr said:
ziggy23":2ljzgmpr said:
I really appreciate the advice as always. I acquired these beautiful animals from a friend who is in the military so needless to say I was more than ill prepared. I knew about the dragons I did lots of reading and research. I always wanted one but got two lol and one 75gal tank. I am going to split them up as soon as I can afford a nice double tank preferably one with the lighting already set up. My temps on the warm side get to 95 and the basking 101-105. I do have some growing issues with the female she is the same age as my male 1yr and half the size. I do keep my apartment cooler than most which is why I think I am having trouble with the temps. on the cool side of the tank it barely gets over 70. I am at a loss here. I want them to be happy and healthy and they do seem that way, except I should separate them.

Thanks again and anymore advice would be great.

First of all, make sure your temps are correct using a thermometer with a probe or a temp gun. If they are correct, i can think of 2 possible solutions: 1) move your lights a little towards the cool end. It might not take much a few inches might do it. give it an hour or 2 and temp again. 2) A very small bulb for the cool end. I would experiment with cheap household bulbs before dishing out $$ for anything expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseSkull
Top Bottom