A little bit of everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmommy

Okay, now my beardie is not eating his fruits/veggies. I am going to ask a few questions and make them short so hopefully can get some answers on some of them. Thanks in advance.

How high should his UVB bulb be from his cage? I have a lot of mesh on my screen.

I leave the lights/heat on for 10 hours a day, is that good? Sometimes around the time I turn it off, he is already under his log where he sleeps.

My dragon seems to huff alot when I put him back in his cage, like he takes a breath of stress maybe or whatever it is, why does he do this, and what can I do if that is bad? If that is what he is doing?

When I let him out, I let him wander around the house, he has his usual places he likes to go; but then when I try to have our cuddle time, he doesn't seem interested. I think this may be because usually when I let him out, I do not have time to cuddle, but I am trying to at least let him out of the cage. But when I do have the time, I would like to spend it with him(I know that is not fair it being only on my terms, but I have a lot on my plate right now) But, how can I get him to chill out with me better and not try to roam on the floor? By the way, what is the proper way to handle him while he is freaking out in my hand and trying to get down?

He is not eating fruits or veggies, but only his superworms. I am going to finally buy him some new proteins, what should I get him? roaches(dubias?), silkworms, and hornworms, are those okay to feed daily?

By the way, should I be gut loading his superworms with fruits like the crickets?

One more things, my poor baby hopped off of his log yesterday and when he did I noticed his leg start to twitch, I thought okay maybe he is lacking some calcium; but that was not it. I continued to watch and his toe started to bleed. He swiped his nail off! I put some of that toe nail cut stop bleeding stuff on, and it stopped bleeding. My question is, will his nail grow back?

Thanks for answering.

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe he caught his claw in the log. I've heard someone on boards had problems with log they bought in petstore. So maybe it's a log that caused him to damage his claw. :(
Poor baby. :cry:
Maybe you should post a pic of the injury, so someone could give you tips on how to go about treating it. Good luck!

P.S.: UVB tube should be from 6-10 inches from the highest spot (usually basking spot) in the tank, but if you have MVB-uvb this distance does not apply (MVB should be further away).
What kind of UVB bulb do you have, tube, comapact, MVB?

I feed my beardie B. dubias and B. lateralis roaches. I think that roaches are best feeder there is.
For your beardie not eating veggies, try putting few mealworms in a dish with veggies. They say it works as a charm for beardies that don't eat their veggies.
I feed him veggies in the morning, cca. one hour before I offer him roaches, that way he eats at least some veggies every day. And they are quite hungry in the morning so I bet he'll gobble those greens in a blink of an eye. :D

How old is your beardie.

My one female is very picky and goes through stages of what she likes and doesn't. We feed crickets, roaches, superworms, and all sorts of veggies. May want to try different veggies find something they like. Which is a little frustrating, but what makes it worth it is my female cuddles the best. My male eats anything in front of him but doesn't like to be really held (work in progress).

If your beardie is young they run all over the place. Just like little kids. They will start calming down as they get a little older. What I have come to realize is they do like a set pattern of the way things happen food time, holding times, bath times, and leave me the hell alone times. I know your busy try to just work out a schedule for you and your beardie and they will learn that to. Just try a few changes at a time. It will take time for the animal to trust you with its life. Dogs and cats are easier.

So here is my word of help
What I've learn about my beardies they are both completely different and so is everyone elses. It will take you time to learn your beardy and what they like. Give them the best care you can a heat source and the reptisun 10.0 for UVB and the try lots of different foods, You'll find one they love. ( And then they may change :) )

What makes these beardies great and a challenge is them them-self.

Good Luck ! we love to hear stories and see pics :)

newmommy

Original Poster
I will try and get him to a shedule, that seems reasonable enough. Also, the UVB is the reptisun 10 in the tube. I will try and set up some pictures soon. I know his nail got caught in the log, it was a store bought. i put the blood stop on it and it only now is his nail is gone. i think he will be okay, i just hope his nail grows back. i am watching it though. I will try the mealworms thing with the veggies, i was just staying away from them from fear of him being impacted. thanks for everything. keep the advice coming, ill take any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom