A Hard Decision 😔

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
We took Shenron to the vet today and she's saying it's time to think about putting him down😔 She said there was no real point in testing him and that it still could be from the gout even. I'm realizing since she's a regular vet she isn't an expert in this stuff but I asked her Is he suffering and she thinks he is but what I don't get is his beard isn't turning black now. He's falling all over and walking hunched to one side. This seems permanent but I'm not sure if this comes in waves or phases or what. I don't feel that I'm ready to make this decision until I know more about this. We took him outside for the 1st time today and he really seemed like he enjoyed himself. Most of the time his back is curved to one side. He has gout too and it looks a little worse in his toes but he's only been on allopurinol for 2 weeks. Any help or advice welcome. I really need it right now thank you. Cross posted. Pics of his 1st day outside.
20230413_170220.jpg
20230413_164802.jpg
20230413_164223.jpg
20230413_164050.jpg
20230413_162823.jpg
20230413_162820.jpg
20230413_163308.jpg
20230413_172016.jpg

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i personally would get a second opinion before making that decision. find a good reptile vet to see. there is ALWAYS a reason to test for things before making decisions such as this. i actually think too many vets, and human doctors for that matter, make decisions without taking the time to actually figure out what is going on. work with tracie to get the ADV test taken care of. (i think this is the dragon you were referring to in another post about adv. maybe i'm thinking someone else.) even if he does have gout and adv, that does not mean he can't have a good life. to me he looks alert in those pictures which would give me some hope. yeah, so he may grow up with something akin to a disability, but that is not the end of the world. it just means you will have to work a little harder, or more creatively, to accommodate his needs.

of course this is entirely your decision though. i'm just telling you what i would do if i were in the same position. we will all support you no matter what you decide.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

It's clear based on the recent pictures that your boy has taken a turn for the worse. The lack of fat stores on the head and base of the tail are indicative of him either not eating at all for months, or from organ failure.

Blood tests would be the only thing worth getting done in my opinion, because it would at least give you an answer to if anything is treatable/reversible.

If he is being semi-active, moving around, not black bearding, then he likely isn't in TOO much discomfort, but he obviously is in some. If this is the case, I'd say ethically you have some time on your side for testing if that's the route you want to go. If, on the other hand, he is obviously in pain, not moving, black bearding, and it's obvious that he is suffering to you, then all the testing in the world is just going to prolong that.

It's a hard decision, and it never gets easier. Whatever you pick, you'll have people here to help you out along the way.

-Brandon

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
We took Shenron to the vet today and she's saying it's time to think about putting him down😔 She said there was no real point in testing him and that it still could be from the gout even. I'm realizing since she's a regular vet she isn't an expert in this stuff but I asked her Is he suffering and she thinks he is but what I don't get is his beard isn't turning black now. He's falling all over and walking hunched to one side. This seems permanent but I'm not sure if this comes in waves or phases or what. I don't feel that I'm ready to make this decision until I know more about this. We took him outside for the 1st time today and he really seemed like he enjoyed himself. Most of the time his back is curved to one side. He has gout too and it looks a little worse in his toes but he's only been on allopurinol for 2 weeks. Any help or advice welcome. I really need it right now thank you. Cross posted. Pics of his 1st day outside. View attachment 79602 View attachment 79603 View attachment 79604 View attachment 79605 View attachment 79606 View attachment 79607 View attachment 79608 View attachment 79609
My heart goes out to you. A reptile vet may be in order...
End of life decisions are heartbreaking...if he is still enjoying his time on this planet, than you are the best judge right now.
I am so sorry for the stress and pain you must be feeling right now.

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hi there,

It's clear based on the recent pictures that your boy has taken a turn for the worse. The lack of fat stores on the head and base of the tail are indicative of him either not eating at all for months, or from organ failure.

Blood tests would be the only thing worth getting done in my opinion, because it would at least give you an answer to if anything is treatable/reversible.

If he is being semi-active, moving around, not black bearding, then he likely isn't in TOO much discomfort, but he obviously is in some. If this is the case, I'd say ethically you have some time on your side for testing if that's the route you want to go. If, on the other hand, he is obviously in pain, not moving, black bearding, and it's obvious that he is suffering to you, then all the testing in the world is just going to prolong that.

It's a hard decision, and it never gets easier. Whatever you pick, you'll have people here to help you out along the way.

-Brandon
This is exactly what I was thinking. Thank for helping me confirm that he may have some time still. I think I will have him retested for everything and panel. Thanks!

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
My heart goes out to you. A reptile vet may be in order...
End of life decisions are heartbreaking...if he is still enjoying his time on this planet, than you are the best judge right now.
I am so sorry for the stress and pain you must be feeling right now.
Thank you.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
This poor little guy is up against it for sure, i hope you can find a vet with answers 🙂. Despite his obvious condition he looks happy. I will be sending prayers your way.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The natural sunshine is great for them. I don't know if it will help with his issues but if it makes him happy i would take him out as much as possible.

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Thank you. Yes I see tiredness in his eyes a lot but no pain really. He loved being outside that was his 1st time and no blackbeard or anything!
Yes that's exactly what I'm seeing. He's my 1st beardie but I'm aware there 1st time outside can be very stressful. We went again today I left a patch of grass unmoved so he could run through it and ne blackboard today either. 20230414_164106.jpg 20230414_164632.jpg 20230414_165101.jpg 20230414_165338.jpg

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Bless his heart, he is lucky to have someone that cares so much

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom