A few questions about breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
There are no stupid questions, right? ;)

So in his infinite man-ness, my boyfriend has decided "Gibby needs laid!" (He has no sense of time, so he didn't realize the Gibster was as old as he is) I've been wanting to breed him and Dora for quite a while, so I'm happy. Dora (not sure, but she's very pale, nearly white, with lemony accents) is extremely healthy, 3 years old, 408 grams tonight, she's usually a bit heavier but she's shedding and off her feed. Gibby's (sandfire x german giant, his body's not that colorful, but his head is BRIGHT orange) healthy for his age, not as active as my girls, but I think that's to be expected. I am fully aware of all the costs involved, I'm only planning on keeping the first clutch and freezing the rest, and I'm pretty sure I already have homes for at least 10. I read over the forum but still have some questions.

1. Is there a preference for where I should introduce them to reduce stress? His viv, hers, neutral territory (i.e. the living room floor)? Her viv is bigger if that makes a difference (6' x 18" vs 40 gal breeder)

2. She's never laid dud eggs, will she start after laying a fertile clutch?

3. I know babies start to show their colors after the first shed, will it be obvious which will be the brightest adults or can they fake me out and be bright as babies and then one or more of the hatchmates will outshine them?

4. I've been assured that male dragons, like human men, can breed just fine into old age and have perfectly healthy clutches. If anyone actually has experience in breeding an older male, I would love to hear it because I do worry my old man is just too old.

That's all I can think of for now, I think I had more but the heat has destroyed my brain cells. :p

Oh! I know I need to give her more calcium, but what about more protein/fat? I'm not to keen on the idea of feeding pinkies, so I'd prefer to get it in her in worm form.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
peera":7ecca said:
There are no stupid questions, right? ;)

So in his infinite man-ness, my boyfriend has decided "Gibby needs laid!" (He has no sense of time, so he didn't realize the Gibster was as old as he is) I've been wanting to breed him and Dora for quite a while, so I'm happy. Dora (not sure, but she's very pale, nearly white, with lemony accents) is extremely healthy, 3 years old, 408 grams tonight, she's usually a bit heavier but she's shedding and off her feed. Gibby's (sandfire x german giant, his body's not that colorful, but his head is BRIGHT orange) healthy for his age, not as active as my girls, but I think that's to be expected. I am fully aware of all the costs involved, I'm only planning on keeping the first clutch and freezing the rest, and I'm pretty sure I already have homes for at least 10. I read over the forum but still have some questions.

1. Is there a preference for where I should introduce them to reduce stress? His viv, hers, neutral territory (i.e. the living room floor)? Her viv is bigger if that makes a difference (6' x 18" vs 40 gal breeder)

2. She's never laid dud eggs, will she start after laying a fertile clutch?

3. I know babies start to show their colors after the first shed, will it be obvious which will be the brightest adults or can they fake me out and be bright as babies and then one or more of the hatchmates will outshine them?

4. I've been assured that male dragons, like human men, can breed just fine into old age and have perfectly healthy clutches. If anyone actually has experience in breeding an older male, I would love to hear it because I do worry my old man is just too old.

That's all I can think of for now, I think I had more but the heat has destroyed my brain cells. :p

Oh! I know I need to give her more calcium, but what about more protein/fat? I'm not to keen on the idea of feeding pinkies, so I'd prefer to get it in her in worm form.
Hopefuly I can answer your questions!! And no there is no such thing as a stupid question!! Here we go...

1. I would use the bigger viv!
2. It all depends on your female! I have 3 females that did not and 1 that does lay infertiles after she is all cycled out! But she can lay a few infertiles during her cycle!
3. You have to wait and see the surprise out of the egg!! You never no what is coming out of their!
4. I bred a male at 5 years old and never had problems! However I herd you should retire them after that point!! I don't no for sure as all of my studs
are young now!!

Good luck and hope this helps!!!

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you Lance. Yes, that does help.
Twobeardieguy":a7153 said:
2. It all depends on your female! I have 3 females that did not and 1 that does lay infertiles after she is all cycled out! But she can lay a few infertiles during her cycle! Well then, I hope she goes with the "majority" this time! ;) I have no desire to deal with dud eggs several times a year, I've seen around here the stress it causes both dragon and owner!
3. You have to wait and see the surprise out of the egg!! You never no what is coming out of their! I know I won't know till they hatch, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed given the parent's lovely colors. But will I know AFTER they hatch & shed the first time, or do some hide their pretty colors for a while and then surprise you 3 months down the line?
4. I bred a male at 5 years old and never had problems! However I herd you should retire them after that point!! I don't no for sure as all of my studs are young now!! See, now that is what concerns me, since Gibby is in the 8-9 range (The lady I got him from got him full grown in Sept '03. She seemed to think he was hatched in March '01, but he was a Herp Society rescue, so there's no way to be positive.)

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
peera":77a37 said:
Twobeardieguy":77a37 said:
2. It all depends on your female! I have 3 females that did not and 1 that does lay infertiles after she is all cycled out! But she can lay a few infertiles during her cycle! Well then, I hope she goes with the "majority" this time! ;) I have no desire to deal with dud eggs several times a year, I've seen around here the stress it causes both dragon and owner!
3. You have to wait and see the surprise out of the egg!! You never no what is coming out of their! I know I won't know till they hatch, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed given the parent's lovely colors. But will I know AFTER they hatch & shed the first time, or do some hide their pretty colors for a while and then surprise you 3 months down the line?
4. I bred a male at 5 years old and never had problems! However I herd you should retire them after that point!! I don't no for sure as all of my studs are young now!! See, now that is what concerns me, since Gibby is in the 8-9 range (The lady I got him from got him full grown in Sept '03. She seemed to think he was hatched in March '01, but he was a Herp Society rescue, so there's no way to be positive.)

2. It is a pain in the butt but if you want to breed then that is some of the things you may have to deal with!
3. Colors change all the time! My 2 and a half year old is changing colors again!! But yes the first or second shed you will see more and more colors coming out!!
3. As long as he is over 2 id say you should be fine!! However I retire my females after year 4 just because it is so hard on their body's throughout!!
Good luck any more questions just ask!!

spyder79

Extreme Poster
hey 8-9 and he was still able to tackle her than he is a stud. I say wait and see. No there wont be any health issues for him from breeding and his "genetics" are still the same as he was way back when he was a youngin. So the babies should be fine. The only thing you will have to wait and see on is if his "lil fellas" can still swim lol. But congrats in advance just in case.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Twobeardieguy":3978f said:
peera":3978f said:
Twobeardieguy":3978f said:

2. It is a pain in the butt but if you want to breed then that is some of the things you may have to deal with!
3. Colors change all the time! My 2 and a half year old is changing colors again!! But yes the first or second shed you will see more and more colors coming out!!
3. As long as he is over 2 id say you should be fine!! However I retire my females after year 4 just because it is so hard on their body's throughout!!
Good luck any more questions just ask!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom