A few feeder questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. If i were to try and start a Dubia Colony, approximately how many dubias should i have before i can start feeding off of it? [FYI I only have 1 beardie about 18 Weeks old or so]

2. Im currently feeding my Beardie crickets, ordered 1000 a couple weeks back and im almost out, other than crickets and roaches what are alternative feeders that are "filling" and at the same time healthy for him? I already ordered some Dubias from someone and also want to buy from Roach Guy but i need something temporary too while i try to build a colony.

3. On Roach Guys site it says he only ships Mondays, so if I buy today (TUESDAY), does he package it all today and leave the roaches in the packages until monday to ship them off or does he package them same day before shipping? I know its probably a dumb question but just gotta make sure :)

4. Do the prices on Roach Guys site INCLUDE SHIPPING? like the 90 mixed for $25?

Edit: 5. Do the male Dubias FLY??

patrickb

Juvie Member
BaronTheBD":e660e said:
1. If i were to try and start a Dubia Colony, approximately how many dubias should i have before i can start feeding off of it? [FYI I only have 1 beardie about 18 Weeks old or so]
This will depend on your beardie and how much it eats. I always use 15 as the magic number for how many nymphs a mature female dubia will produce per a month. Let's say your beardie ends up eating 50 a day, that's 1500 a month. You would need 100 mature females before you could safely begin feeding from the colony. Again, it just depends on how much your beardie actually eats. The females actually produce an average of around 25 nymphs per a month, but by using a conservative number like 15, you can be assured you have new young breeders up and coming to replenish the older ones as they die off. Your colony will also grow in size over the months using this number as well, so if you got another beardie or insect loving critter, you got food for them too. ;)

2. Im currently feeding my Beardie crickets, ordered 1000 a couple weeks back and im almost out, other than crickets and roaches what are alternative feeders that are "filling" and at the same time healthy for him? I already ordered some Dubias from someone and also want to buy from Roach Guy but i need something temporary too while i try to build a colony.
Silkworms and phoenixworms are popular. They are quite pricey compared to crickets, but are good feeders. I don't deal with worms much so can't really say a whole lot. As much as I hate crickets, they are a cheap easy to obtain staple feeder while you wait on your roach colony to get established.

3. On Roach Guys site it says he only ships Mondays, so if I buy today (TUESDAY), does he package it all today and leave the roaches in the packages until monday to ship them off or does he package them same day before shipping? I know its probably a dumb question but just gotta make sure :)
I highly doubt he does. Probably packages them on Sunday evening or Monday morning, but you could just email him (or he probably will see this thread and post here) for the actual answer. If you are worried about the quality and health of the roaches, don't. Too many people (myself included) on this forum alone have never had a problem ordering from him, that doesn't count the other sites where I see people having nothing but good to say about him. Top notch guy and good quality roaches!

4. Do the prices on Roach Guys site INCLUDE SHIPPING? like the 90 mixed for $25?
Yep, at least the last time I checked. I know he stopped including the shipping in the price at some point, but went back to including it in the price again. I don't see mention of it on his site anyore, but again a quick email to him would verify that. He is quite helpful.

Edit: 5. Do the male Dubias FLY??
Nope, but they do flutter. Similar to gliding, they can flap their wings and slow their descent rate, but have no ability to gain altitude. What this means is they can't take off from the ground and end up on your ceiling. They can hop maybe 2-3" into the air and flutter, covering a good distance quickly. They could jump off of your arm and take off across the room in other words. They are more apt to do this when stressed and they feel threatened. Normally they just try to run away. Keep the highest point in your tote less than 4-5" from the top and no worries about the males getting out when you don't have the lid on.

BaronTheBD

Original Poster
Thanks really appreciate the response :D

My beardie usually only eats about 30 Crickets a day more or less, do you think that its probably going to be the same with the Roaches?

edit: Just ordered 180 Dubias from RoachGuy and already have 50 incoming from someone else, hopefully thats a good start on a colony :)

patrickb

Juvie Member
No problem mate! The appetite may increase some more, but for now you know what he is eating. Dubia are a bit bulkier and meatier than crickets, so somewhere around 30-40% (according to members here) less will be needed. I will go conservative here in the numbers and assume his appetite doesn't increase. 24 dubia per a day = 720 a month/15 = 48 adult females that you will need. You could get by with a few less than that, but I would aim for around that number before you feed from the colony regularly. It will probably be 6-8 months before your colony is going good enough to meet that number, just depends on how fast the ones you get in mature and start breeding. It could be 3-5 months if you get a bunch of females that are close to maturing in the mix. Crapshoot there. Hope that helps and welcome to the world of roaches! :p It may take a bit of time, but once they get going, no more worries about feeders ever again.

BaronTheBD

Original Poster
Ill keep those numbers in mind, thanks again. I cant believe im actually bringing in cockroaches to my home, i find them kind of disgusting but hopefully ill get over it lol.

patrickb

Juvie Member
As crazy as it seems, you will actually grow the love them once you get them in and going. Very little as far as animals creeps me out, but roaches always did. Those big palmetto bugs (American cockroach) that come from outside have infested my home a few times and they just freak me out. The Turks and Dubias I keep, they don't bother me one bit, very interesting bugs. I even keep a few of those american cockroaches as pets just to observe them and their behavior. Not as bad as I thought they were, but definitely don't want them running loose in the house either. heh

Ryan Maguire

Sub-Adult Member
Start with more than 50 like I did!! Its been well over a year now and I still can't feed off yet. In a few months I will be able to start tho. -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom