a few breeding Q's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paksta

first of all, thanks for taking time to help =)
1. I have a 55 Gal tank. can i put up a divider in it and house the male and female in the 2 new, seprate tanks, or is this way too small?

2. I hear multiple clutches are laid, how many? Is there a mating season, then a few clutches are laid a month apart, then they take the rest of the year off?

3. do those small incubators work? here is a link to one: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/reptile-incubators/-/thermal-hova-bator-incubator1602n/
and what does the incubator temp have to be?

i dont have any other Q's for now, thanks though!

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
their mating season is in spring when it starts to get warm out. And yes they lay multiple clutches from one breeding. They usually breed all throu summer then take the winter off to hibernate.

I have heard that those incubators work from others but i have not personaly used one i make my own incubators. There will probaly be many people that tell you they are great.

Paksta

Original Poster
so how many clutches do they lay? 5-6 by my calculations?

and is the 55 gal big enough for two, when spit in half?

and how many Hovabators will i need for one beardie? will two be enough?

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Paksta":32563 said:
so how many clutches do they lay? 5-6 by my calculations?

and is the 55 gal big enough for two, when spit in half?

and how many Hovabators will i need for one beardie? will two be enough?

A 55 gallon tank is not the suggested dimensions for one adult let alone two due to its narrowness. They need about 18 inches front to back to keep from kinking their backs when turning. The 55 gallon is 12 inches internal front to back. you can build a 6ft X 2ft X 2ft tank with a splitter giving each dragon a 3x2x2 tank. that would be perfect. And how many havobators you need will all depend on how many clutches you plan to hatch. A average virgin female will lay 1-8 clutches from one breeding (though normally it will be on the lower end of the spectrum). Think 20-30 eggs per clutch.

Paksta

Original Poster
if i were to turn the 55 gal onto its front, would that be enough room? i did the calculations, it would be 4 long x 20 wide x 13 high. then, would 2x20x13 be enough for a single?

Paksta

Original Poster
ok. what about (sorry for all this!) a 24x24x15, for each? im looking to get a large 48x24x15, which would then be split in half.

mich

Hatchling Member
You may find building your own cheaper then a tank anyway and you can stack them to save on room. I built the standard 4x2x2 enclsoures for my 2 dragons with glass sliding doors on each and they look very nice stacked up and given each dragon the space they need. My 2 cost me $200 combined in materials to build, large glass tanks easily exceed that with a mesh lid and as mentioned are not really tall or wide enough. Just something to consider.

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
not to be a preacher,

But if you're going to breed please do a lot of research, you should have 2 4x2x2 tanks for each adult, build them it's affordable. and have at least 2 brooding tanks available before you're eggs are laid!!! I suggest housing babies in a 20 long with no more than 8 per tank. I also suggest buying a book on bearded dragons with a breeding section, it's been a great fallback for me when I had a quick question, i use a hovabator myself 100% HR. I only hatch 1 clutch of 8-10 dragons at a time, this allows me to keep my overhead down and my workload light. I would suggest feeling out your local market before you hatch 200 eggs, breeding is not a money making business, trust me you'll be lucky to break even. breeding as a hobby like i do is great fun and quite rewarding.

cheers,

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom