A different sort of rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
EDIT: She has a name! Welcome Pele, Goddess of fire and volcanoes.

This isn't your typical rescue story, she didn't come from abusive or neglectful owners. She didn't have MBD or any other obvious illness. Instead she was a failure to thrive and the breeder asked me to take her to see what I could. This was about a week before Christmas.
I didn't really want another dragon but Barney had been brumating for over 2 months and I missed having a dragon to care for so I agreed.
She was placed in my hands, cold and dark. Not skinny but obviously not well either. I brought her home and put her in Barneys big tank. I immediately seen her display the same signs the breeder told me about. Not wanting to bask, not wanting any UVB, not eating. I'd put her under the heat just to have her jump off and hide again, so I'd catcher her and back under the light she would go just to have her hide again. This was constant for the first few days, I was lucky if I could keep her under the heat for more then 2 minutes at time. I resorted to warming her up with frequent baths.
I also started hand feeding her roaches, I have pretty good technique for force feeding them without causing undue stress. So this is how it was for the first couple of weeks, hand feeding around 5 roaches a day and constantly trying to keep her warm to digest.
She would have good days, basking on her own and even eating a couple roaches from her dish so I stopped hand feeding, only to have her sleep for a week. At this point I started her on baby food instead of roaches, it was easier to get more food in her and I figured easy to digest. This worked for a few days and she started to feel better when she went back to sleeping alot with no energy.
I had almost given up on her, she was showing signs of sever dehydration even with frequent baths and hand fed water. She stopped being happy, turned nearly black, wouldn't eat and stopped moving. If it was a adult dragon, I would have suspected brumation as she was acting just like Barney when he went down for the winter.
I figured she lost the will to live so I was in the process of deciding if I was going to have her put to sleep. I still offered her food but stopped hand feeding, she didn't want to live and I could stand forcing her anymore.
Then a few days ago I found her basking, so she got a bath and drank a bunch of water. She seemed to be feeling better so I offered some food which she ate right up. The next day, the same thing except she ate a roach while I was holder her! I couldn't believe it. I knew she ate bugs on her own sometimes but she never let me see her doing it. Now she is eating at least 10 dubia a day, all on her own and is basking most of the day by herself. The bast news of all is I can tell she is putting on weight and her head is going into shed!
In the 5 weeks I've had her, she hasn't so much as gained a gram but in the past 4 days, she has put on weight. I don't know what changed or why she has decided to live but she will have a home with me forever now.

I didn't name her as I tried not to get attached but she deserves a name now. Keep in mind she is between 4-6 months old and only around 8 inches.
This is a horrible picture, she is really dark. I'll try to get one of her pretty colors and face when I have her out later.

100_0307.jpg

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
What a touching story. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Im sure you will be eternally mystified at what made her snap out of it, but I hope its because she decided that with an owner such as yourself, life might just be worth living after all ^_^

I must say Im stumped for names at this stage (Im rescuing another dragon tomorrow and dont even have a name for him either!), but I do know that she deserves a strong name.

Hopefully you will keep the pictures coming ^_^

Holly

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I have some more good news. She had a completely normal poo in the bath a bit ago. It has been hard with yellow urates due to the dehydration but today she has soft with bright white:)
Her personality is starting to show a bit more too. She is a sweetie but stubborn and has decided baths stink! so does drinking from a dropper LOL.

I'm off to research some names.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I think Xena - warrior beardie... for her will to fight!!!!

I'm sooo happy that she's showing you she has the will to live!

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
That's an amazing story and very strange. I'm puzzled at what could have caused her to feel so down and out. She's lucky to be with you now, though. Great news on the poo *HPD* :blob5: :blob8:

More pics please! :mrgreen:

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Indeed. Now Pele has a name she must supply us with pictures.
Also a tiny tiki torch and hula skirt...

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
What a great story thanks for sharing with us! Im so glade things turned around for her and that she is on the raod to recovery and wellbeing. :blob5: :blob8: YAHHHHAA!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Pele has been doing really well, she is still eating daily by herself and her head has finally shed. There were wounds on her head and chin from cricket bites, the scabs fell off with the shed and she looks great now:)

I have something of an idea of why she wasn't doing so well. Turns out she is VERY picky about how her cage is set up. I redid her furniture so I could get her UVB inside the cage, little turd didn't like that I took HER log out of the cage and she stopped basking and hide. So this morning I spend awhile redoing everything so I could fit HER log and the UVB in the cage and she is fine now :roll:

Here are a few pics I took yesterday.
100_0327.jpg

100_0328.jpg

100_0330.jpg

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Hey there! It's good to see more pics. I didn't notice this in the first picture but did now. Have you had her tail looked at by a vet? It looks very necrotic and could spread. Keep us updated

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Actually, her tail is completely healed. Its black in the pics because she was mad, its not always like that.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
What a pretty little dragon! Her color is wonderful, little fire goddess, and that belly...failure to thrive?!? :laughing6: I've dealt with some fussy eaters, and you've done a great job with pretty Pele! :love5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom