80% Humidity!!! Help :(!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenJen321

My Humidity has lately been between 60% and 80%. I can't find a way to lower it. I'm worried that my poor baby might get sick from this. I was thinking of getting a dehumidifier, seeing as that'd be the only way to lower the humidity. Would a mini dehumidifier work to lower the humidity? One like this: http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Air-Conditioners-Fans-Dehumidifiers-Dehumidifiers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xj8Zb9b9/R-202261882/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 Would I have to put it inside his tank for it to work??
I was wondering if some sites or stores might also sell a dehumidifier specifically for terrariums/tanks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Is there any way I can try lowering the humidity right now? And, if the humidity stays like this for too long, what could happen to my beardie?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hello! First let me say, "Welcome to the site!"

I have no experience with the dehumidifiers so someone else will have to chime in on that.
However if you are using a water dish take it out. You could also add some socks of rice to the enclosure this will pull some of the moisture out to the air.

With humidity that high I must ask do you live in a very humid climate?
Do you have an airconditioner?
Do you use a swamp cooler?

JenJen321

Original Poster
Im not using a water dish, and I live in New York City.
Mostly, the humidity is never so high. But lately, since it has been raining, the humidity percentages have skyrocketed.
And, no, i do not have a swamp cooler.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Are you positive that the humidity gauge your using is not malfuctioning? Just a thought as I've killed a few.
If battery operated you may want to change the batteries. Though I did look up your weather an you are currently at 64% humidity outside.

Using your airconditioner with pull some of the humidity out of the air.
I'd try the rice socks see if it helps....also you might ask Diane ( memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4097 ) or Vicky ( memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13087 ) they are both in NY. They may have some suggestions or could tell you how they are dealing with the problem/humidity right now. Also if you have any house plants that are located in that room the wet soil would add to the humidity if so you might wanna put them in a different room...just another thought.

JenJen321

Original Poster
It's a little stick-on hygrometer.
I've heard that those might be incorrect, but the humidity reading outside is 75% anyway.
(I just watched the news and found out.)
Could the humidity inside be so much different?
Nonetheless, It feels pretty humid inside anyway :?

AndyT

Juvie Member
If the humidity constantly stays like that, your beardie could develop a respiratory infection. I think that computer fans o the screen can lower humidity, but I don't know how to hook them up.

Andy

squirell

Hatchling Member
For computer fans you could go get a cheap power supply from a store like compusa, microcenter, or best buy. It all depends on where you live. The fans will have a certain plug that plug directly into the power supply.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
If you are running air conditioning, it will be significantly less humid inside than it is outside. If you are just cooling with fans and the windows open, the humidity inside will likely be the same as it is outside. I'd recommend getting a more reliable hydrometer as well. As for decreasing the humidity, I've often read that is easier to try to decrease the humidity in the entire room, rather than just inside the viv. So some sort of dehumidifier for the room is probably a good idea.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello! I'd like to chime on this. I did not see, but did you say you are using A/C or not?
I happen to live in FL where the humidity can get up to 100%. I have A/C and never have a problem inside my house.
If you pm'd Diane, she probably helped you sort out your problem.
If by chance, you do have your A/C on... I would recommend getting a new hygrometer or getting an AcuRite digital thermometer, which will measure not only the temps in the viv, but also the humidity.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Hopefully you've gotten the answers you've needed by now, but in case you haven't...

- Humidity is the amount of moisture in the air. Your viv should be it's own 'microclimate' from the rest of room, so make sure you are taking your measurements INSIDE the enclosure.
- Make sure all water is removed from the enclosure (i.e. water bowls). Also
- Using a fan to move air will not reduce humidity if the air being pulled 'in' is also humid. In some cases this may make things worse as the heat from the lamps should burn off most of the humidty (and vent out through the vents).
- Really good hygrometers are really expensive. The cheap-o dial ones, or the accurite indoor/outdoor dealies are not going to be real accurate, but they'll give you a good idea of whether or not it's too high or too low.
- An A/C can lower the humidity in the air, but the second you shut it off and open the windows, it shoots right back up (assuming it's still humid outside). Again, as the enclosure should be it's own climate, you shouldn't really need make changes to the entire house to have an affect.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
JeffSimpson":2fkw5a2u said:
Your viv should be it's own 'microclimate' from the rest of room
I agree that the viv should be it's own 'microclimate'

JeffSimpson":2fkw5a2u said:
Again, as the enclosure should be it's own climate, you shouldn't really need make changes to the entire house to have an affect.
On the other hand, if your viv has vents/openings, then it will most definitely be affected by the climate in your home. I am not trying to start a debate here, but just pointing out that the temps/humidity in your home "do" play a big part in the temps/humidity in your beardies viv. :D

Valex

Hatchling Member
You will want to get an acurite thermometer from walmart. It will measure your basking temp, cool side temp, and humidity all acuratly for $12.

Also, are you misting your dragon by chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom