8 month old hiding all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
I have an 8 month old 15 inch Dragon who for over a week has been hiding almost all day. Twice this week she was up before me.Lights on at 6am Im up at 7am. Today she ate some worms at 6 30am that I put in her viv last night then went straight back in her hide. She hasnt been pooing as much and when she does she poos 2 or 3 days worth. Bathing her doesnt work becuase she hasnt basked. The I have propper set up with a thermostat. Although it has been freezing the last few weeks in the uk. I also have an arcadia uvb bulb. I cant take the hide out as the whole viv is set up around it. I also cant take her our of it. I would be better off blocking the 3 enterances to the hide. Yesterday when I came home from work she wasn't in her hide but was still hiding under a plank of wood. She doesnt sleep but is resting her head on the ground. I feed her crickets and phoneix worms. I dust crickets with calcium and give vits 3/4 times a week.

Thanks for any advice.

doe222

Juvie Member
Your bearded dragon may be trying to brumate. Alot of people say they should not be allowed to brumate if under a year. My beardie never tried to brumate untill after 11months so i figured that was fine. http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/ is a great article on brumation. Read up and see if thats what they are doing. If so you may want to stop her from brumating by putting her under the basking spot and things like that. But im not sure i didnt have to deal with early brumation just have read about it. Alot of times different behavior is also caused by improper husbandry as well. What are your temps at. basking spot should be around 95-105 degreesF. What arcadia do you have, 6% or 12%? What do you use for a substrate?

unkempt1

Juvie Member
First off, you shouldn't fight brumation, you should just let it happen. That being said, brumation at that age is incredibly rare.

I agree that it's all about husbandry. What temps are at, and UVB. If you have been using the same UVB and use it with a screen under the bulb you should change it since you've reached the six-month mark where you should be changing it anyway. Poor UVB lighting can cause low activity, but more importantly, poor health because your dragon isn't getting what it needs from a physiological standpoint. Let us know about the tank setup and that should help with getting advice.

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys. Arcadia 12% which is only a few months old with a reflector. Basking temp is 105. Tile substrate. 4x2x2 foot viv.

When she sees Locusts she goes mad for them(they are her faves). she jumps out of her hide and leaps onto my lap. strange behaviour.

doe222

Juvie Member
unkempt1,

I do apologize as i said i did not have to deal with early brumation but have read on multiple articles that many people do not allowed thier beradies to go into brumation under 1 year. Thank you for clearing this up for me. I apologize for the misguided information

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im going to try and see the vet next weekend. I managed to get her to come out of her hide this evening when i got home by giving her some food. After she finished eating I put her on high so she can bask and get some uvb. I also blaocked off the hide which she wasnt very happy about. but hopefully she willl get some more uvb rays and more heat to digest her food. she can still hide in a shaded part it's just not inclosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom