6 month old dragon brumating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiVZ

Hi,
I have a 6 month old bearded dragon (around 16 inches) that has not been eating much at all for at least a few weeks and has been having other unusual behaviors. I use a reptisun 10.0 and keep a 105F basking spot and 75-80 cool spot.

I've been feeding him twice a day in a separate clear plexiglass enclosure. Sometimes he will eat around 25 crickets a day, but other days he won't eat at all. While in the feeding enclosure, he'll spend most of his time trying to escape and usually shows no interest at all for the crickets (he repeatedly bumps his head into the glass and scratches it in an effort to get out). When I place him outside of the enclosure after this, he usually will explore around for a little bit and seems happier. I've tried feeding him then and he does seem a little more interested in the crickets.

While in his cage, he will stay in the cooler spot hiding in leaves on top of a hammock. I have been moving him to his basking spot prior to and after eating, but he usually just moves back into the leaves, even when he's cold.

Does this sound like brumation? If not, should I be worried? It kind of seems like brumation to me, but based on what I've read, he seems to be too young for that.

Thanks

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Our Zoom Zoom is doing the same thing. She's not as long as yours, she's just over 12 inches long at last measuring. She eats good for her some days and, in fact this last week she didn't eat much if anything for 3 days. She finally ate 4 crickets and 9 super worms, along with one small piece of collard green today. This is good for her. She's never really eaten a lot of crickets like Redrock used to do at her age but she is growing, just not quite as fast as yours has.

LiVZ

Original Poster
That's good that she finally ate!

Does anyone have any ideas as to why my bd isn't wanting to bask or eat? Could it be brumation, or does it sound like he might be sick?

mcdavis77

My beardie is 8 months old and 13 inches (with a tail nip so she probably should be closer to 14 or 15 I think) and doing the same thing. I was worried that she is wasting away because she's not eating but I'm starting to think that this is mild brumation. If I wrap her in a blanket at night and put her back in her cage, it is not uncommon for her to stay there for the entire next day but usually will come out the second day. I'm ready for the winter to be over so I can have my fattie beardie back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom