6 inches to 12% uvb too close ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Her normal basking spots are 12 to 18 inches. However there is a log in the enclosure that gets are 6 to8 inches I’ve never seen her go that close to UVB does she know what she’s doing will she move before being burned Or should I eliminate the option of this fog altogether

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
They are pretty good at regulating themselves. They have a third eye on top of the head that senses light, so as long as she has places to go and get away and it's not like 6 inches from the bulb to the floor, you're fine. She'll probably never go and bask there at that spot. If she does, I would take it as a sign that something else is going on, either with her or the bulb.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
With the UV or the basking bulb? I was thinking about putting a taller rock under lights give her a few more inches. I figured she knew what she was doing but it is a little concerning that she feels like she hast to get 6 inches to the UVB She should never have to get that close to a 12% bulb

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Maybe I'm misunderstanding a little bit, but yes UV basking spots should be 12-15 for a 12% bulb if it is under the screen. If it is on top of a wide hole screen, distance should be 8-10. Heat basking should be by temp, not distance. If she has other places to go that are more appropriate for UV basking but she is choosing to be at the spot six inches from the light consistently and for extended periods at a time, that could be a problem with either her feeling the need for that much UV or the bulb not putting out enough. Just having that one spot that gets that close though shouldn't be a problem as she doesn't have to be that close and can move if she needs to.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
She was just up there a few minutes ago but only for like 10 min. I replaced the bulb beginning of Jan. So I don’t think it’s the bulb itself I really need to invest in uv meter but damn there expensive.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I put some new rocks under her ledge to get that 3 extra inches so now she’s 12 there 15 on her other bask rock and about 17 everywhere else. I feel this will be better. She seems to dig it already she hopped right up to that 12 inch ledge. Thanks for your response. It’s amazing how anything that has to do with her still gets me panicked LOL

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The recommended distances are generally for the main basking area. Branches etc can allow closer access if you want. They'll regulate as long as they can get away from the higher intensity if they want to. They are capable of handling pretty high intensity UVB, at least for limited periods of time. Give her the options and she'll go after what she wants at a given time.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Thanks bud so all the bask spots have good distance thank you for your replies guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom