500 Dubia - Q about heating pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
So after some impatient waiting, I am finally going to get my second batch of dubias tomorrow or Sat. It went from getting about 200 to getting more than 500 - she has so many she wants to get rid of them, have to admit makes me happy :D

Has anyone used a zoo med heating pad on the rubbermaid containers? I have one regular heating pad underneath it, but it's a 50g and doesn't seem to be getting warm enough. I have an extra zoo med heating pad I was going to use, but will it melt the plastic? I don't really want to buy another pad if possible because I have like 7 around the house - the only one that doesn't have automatic shut off is the one already under the container.

Ok.. thanks =)

LittleRob

Hatchling Member
Any info on this? I too wanted a heating pad but noticed that most say not for plastic. And one of them does but its a tiny wattage one. Oh I also have a regular heating pad and can't tell the diff with it on or off even at high setting :banghead:

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I understand that, I know alot of the different ways of heating through reading threads here. My question at the moment is will a zoo med heating pad melt the plastic of a rubbermaid container? It says not to use on plastic, but I was hoping someone had tried it and could give me better insight as to whether it really will or not. I just spent $$ on the 50g container, screen, hot glue, and the 500+ dubia I have coming - at this moment I don't know if I can afford even a $16 heating pad let alone heating tape or whatever else (like to keep some extra money for just in case - gas, etc.). Plus I have extra zoo meds so why not see if those will work.

If anyone has tried this and knows whether it does melt it or not please let me know. I have a regular heating pad on the bottom and if I can will put the zoo med on the side.

Thanks

clear

Sub-Adult Member
A heating pad is a heating pad. As long as its not reaching the melting point of the plastic it cant melt it. (I don't think a heating pad can get over like 100F but I could be wrong)

My heating setup including the cable and everything else was under $25 shipped to me. Most heating pads I found at walmart etc... that didn't have the auto-shut off was well over $40.

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
Many reptile heating pads are "thermo-regulated", and will not go over a certain temp...usually 100-110. However, that doesn't mean they can not melt plastic....certainly they can. I personally would not use a heating pad that puts out more than 15watts in a 12" x 12" area. Most "desert" type heat pads are around that power density, with certain pads for tropical or rain-forest species providing less power.

Even some human heating pads could melt plastic, or at least cause it to get brittle over time...and out-gas. This is why I prefer overhead heat....but I realise is not an option for some.

bigmac1

Juvie Member
i dont want to steal anyones thread but can i use a zoomed 8 watt heat matt for extra heat on my dubias tote, i took my thermometer and i measured the heat of the mat for about 1 hour even more and it never got higher than 95 degrees would that melt the plastic.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks Best Roach for replying. I will have to see what it says. I know its a zoo med repti them th 120Vac 60hz 24w, and I believe its for a 30 to 55g tank. My container is 55g.

I just got them today and I guess I can wait to see how hey do. Its not cold or anything. I guess I could also put a thermometer in their to see wht the temp is inside - to do this wher would be the best place to put it?

So what heating pad is recommended to produce the proper amount of heat for dubias in a rubbermaid container bc I'm trying to get all supplies needed? Thanks.

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
I always recommend human heating pads, as they are safer and can be self adjusted (depending on model). They can be had for around $15 at Amazon.com. Mind you, it must remain on 24/7, so those with an auto shutoff feature are no good.

I couldn't tell you specific brands of reptile UTH's, but anything putting out less than 15watts of heat in a 10" x 12" surface area should be safe for a plastic tote thats 20 gallons or larger in size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom