48" x 24" melamine cage. 18" tall or 24"tall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
I'm shopping for a melamine cage. It will be white. I'm going to use a 24" Repti Sun 10 and a clear incandescent bulb for basking. Should I get the 18" or 24" tall? I guess the 18" would be better for UVB. Are there any benefits for the 24"?

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have a 36" x 18" x 18" Exo Terra leopard gecko tank that will sit on the melamine bearded dragon cage. I do not plan to have more than one bearded dragon.

Kajolic

Juvie Member
I built a 4'x2'x18" on a stand and it works great. Even with all the lights mounted inside, I don't have any issues with bulbs being too close, and the UVB could be a bit closer, which I intend to drop and 1-3 inches next week on my away from work vacation. If curious, I can post an image or two tomorrow when I have some natural light. Camera on the phone take horrendous pictures in a CFL lit room.

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Kajolic":ctfx4oy7 said:
I built a 4'x2'x18" on a stand and it works great. Even with all the lights mounted inside, I don't have any issues with bulbs being too close, and the UVB could be a bit closer, which I intend to drop and 1-3 inches next week on my away from work vacation. If curious, I can post an image or two tomorrow when I have some natural light. Camera on the phone take horrendous pictures in a CFL lit room.

Yes, I would love to see pictures :). I'm curious where you install the bulbs so that both are on top of the basking spot, what bulb you have, and what you use for a basking spot. How much has it cost you to build the cage yourself?

kaylorin

It depends on your decor and lights. I have a raised basking platform for my babies, and I have a 24" tall.
sarynscage1.jpg

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster

mudskipper

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kaylorin":1cljnr19 said:
It depends on your decor and lights. I have a raised basking platform for my babies, and I have a 24" tall.
sarynscage1.jpg

What do you use to cover the tank? It looks very clean! Does your beardie sleep underneath the platform? :)

Kajolic

Juvie Member
mudskipper":1nod092q said:
Yes, I would love to see pictures :). I'm curious where you install the bulbs so that both are on top of the basking spot, what bulb you have, and what you use for a basking spot. How much has it cost you to build the cage yourself?

I'll get you one before work tomorrow, was busy prior to work so I didn't even get on to check these threads in depth.

Kajolic

Juvie Member
Finally got a chance to take a few pictures. Hope it's not too late for them to do any good, but here is little Dovah's Viv.
GnZKB.jpg

As you can see the bulbs, which I believe at 50-watts on separate dimmers. The CHE bulb in the back is off, but that is where I had it for the winter month. Unsure if that log will stay there by it, if it does I'll need to more the CHE bulb, or put a wire cage around it.
UVB bulbs are 36" mounted above and to the left above the heated side, will probably lower them a few inches here soon, I feel they are a bit high (given they were mounted lower on the back wall where you see the holes on the back wall)
Also, all wires are held up with those nail-in wire clips, could use the stick on type, but at the time I figure with the heat it wouldn't have stuck on for long. But as you can see they exit in top center, never notice them unless you try.

Took one panel off the stand, this was just a simple 2x2" supports with 1x4" (or 1x3" I forget) timber just screwed together to make a box frame with scrap OSB board as a shelf inside.

Here is another angled picture:
1fOAg.jpg

Notice the top isn't open for a light fixture or anything so it can be used for anything. At the moment is has the pretty much empty cricket bin and a few towels that the little guy loves to poop on for me...

This is the website I used for the cage plans. Did minor changes in a Google SketchUp program to get it the way I wanted. In the end the Viv itself is out of one sheet of Melamine.

kaylorin

mudskipper":2gfdkj4p said:
What do you use to cover the tank? It looks very clean! Does your beardie sleep underneath the platform? :)

I was using contact kitchen cupboard liner. But, the only kind I could find had an anti-microbial something in it. I have taken that out and am putting in tile. Both of my babies sleep both on the platform and under it, sometimes under the ramp. Neither has a specific place - just kind of where they are at that moment =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom