4 new baby bearded dragons and I'm a noob!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo

Hi all, I recently went to a reptile auction hoping to get some Juvi turtles but def fell in love with the lade back, calm personalities of these wonderful bearded dragons. I bought the babies from Dragon Fortress and they look amazing and loving there new environment. However, I was told not to put water in the tank in hoping that they will get their moisture from veggies. However, I just got home and found my female laying around the veggie bowl as if she was knocked out?? Frantic and concerned, I got a bottle of spraying water and I sprayed her and she started licking the water. Then sprung up and started chasing for her last meals. Could someone help? Also, they aren't really eating the greens like red leaf lettuce, kal? Any info would be great and yes, I give em 10 min baths, warm waters, dailies!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new dragons so far. The concern about putting water in the tank is that it will increase the humidity of the tank. If your tank is large enough and the bowl is relatively small and placed on the cool side it shouldn't be a problem. That said, they often won't drink standing water so they're more likely to drink water that is dripped around them or sometimes directly from their bath (so keep providing these). If you spray, be sure not to allow any of the water to remain on the sides of the tank (better yet do it outside of the tank) and just gently spray around the nose and get them to lick it off. It's true that most of their water will come from food such as veges and gutloaded/well hydrated bugs. Young dragons will often favor bugs over veges to get more protein to support fast growth.

I'm glad your dragon got her energy back and hunted down the rest of her meal. The laying around the bowl unconscious is a bit of a concern. Have you noticed any of the other dragons picking on her or showing other aggressive behavior? Having them together causes concern especially as they grow older. They are fairly territorial and aggressive toward eachother so it's best that each of them has their own enclosure apart from the others.

zippo

Original Poster
Thank you cooper for the info! Unfortunately, they are not fighting and i stack some big pond rocks the size of your feet to your fist and they love to perch up there and when they see crickets they jump off and pounce on them. The brew are from 4 different line genetics and they are getting along but was warn that the males will eventually but heads. Of the 4 bearded, I noticed that one is frail and hasn't eaten since Saturday and is actually sleeping too much and is afraid of 1/4 size crickets and dubia roach?? I fear that it's not gonna make it. The story to that one male is that heal had a black tip tail due to not shedding properly?? However, the other three are chomping away....I can send you pics if you wanna see them... Thanks again.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can upload photos using the image manager here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

It's possible that the other three are dominating the one who is having trouble and causing intimidation/monopolizing resources. I would try isolating the frail dragon while providing heat and access to UVB (this can even include some time outside if the weather allows for it). You may need to start syringe feeding by dropping some Oxbow Carnivore Care (from a vet's office) or even some baby food on it's nose to try and provide some nutrition and hydration. I've had good luck using green bean, squash, and sweet potato baby food in the past.

zippo

Original Poster
Hi CooperDragon, I have been researching and using your method to feed my little Silk baby dragon via, the baby foods sweet potato, squash and green beans. To my surprised, he started licking it off my finger and gradually began getting stronger and was able to eat crickets and dubia roaches. I've uploaded some photo's!! Again, thank you for your info and because of it, you saved my little guy!!
81814-4524231763.jpg
81814-8054351709.jpg
81814-3090904090.jpg
81814-4548962419.jpg
81814-595772751.jpg
81814-4660809678.jpg
81814-326594208.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. They are adorable :D . That's a really small enclosure for all of them. Are you planning on getting a bigger one? You know just one adult beardie needs a 40gallon breeder minium. You could also get a really big enclosure and put dividers in it so each one can have their own space. I just hate for any of them to hurt each other or worse.

zippo

Original Poster
Thanks Destiny!! Yes, yes...I've been raising fishes and breeding them since 1992 and just jumped to these loveable baby bearded dragons as of March 2, 2015 when me and my friend went to a reptile show. At first, I just wanted two but had a deal for the four of em. So, I took the deal, then come to find out that they will need their own tank space from CooperDragon as they can be very dominating torwards one another as well as damaging. As a result, I have plenty of large tanks to put them in but the question is the best way?? I have 180 gal, 125 gal, 75 gal, 55 gal, 20 gal long..etc. however, many people have said a 40 gal is best way to go do to the shallow tank for lighting. Regardless, I have over 1 thousand crickets fed with potatoes in a 20 gal long and raising dubia roaches in a 20 gal tall and I will have a friend of mine take two of these beaded dragons till I find a best way to make their living safe, proper lighting etc!! I like your suggestion about a divider!! Thanks again...

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'm glad to hear your are working something out for safer housing, and cooper has some good tips for your struggling little one. . :) as for size... 40g is the bare minimum, the larger the space for each one the better - 4'x2'x2' is better for each dragon. If you use a T5 UVB you can have a much taller enclosure and therefor much more options for for furnishing, thermal gradients and so forth. These lights can be mounted much further away so it is also safer for your little ones. I notice in the one picture they are able to get right up by the light, and look into the bulb. This can be pretty bad for their eyes. You want it overhead, not on the wall like that so they are less likely to stare into the bulb. Does it have a reflector in it?

Also, it's worth feeding your crickets a bit better. Fresh veggies or a good dry chow will make them more nutritous for your little ones. Preditors get a good deal of nutriton from the food their prey eats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom