29 cents a cricket, Fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAJ

Hatchling Member
Ty13:
Where in Canada are you? Our local PetSmart sells them at 9 or 10 cents each, depending on size. As others have pointed out, 29 cents is way out of line.
There are some online sources given in some of the threads in the Canada forum on this board. Th thread I was thinking of is old, but most suppliers should still be around: http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=41994
Also... do you have access to an exotic pet store, either locally or nearby? They often fall off the radar when those considering their first reptile are considering pet stores. We have two locally and both offer the opportunity to buy crickets in bulk quantities (i.e. boxes of 500 to 1000). Prices on a per-cricket basis are perhaps slightly more than online, but the lack of shipping charges and usual same-day availability make them a bit cheaper in total than online (for me anyway), and much more convenient.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
29 cents a cricket? That is a big ripped off. Find another source to buy crickets from. I'm in the U.S., and I get crickets for 3 cents each if I buy in bulk of 500 and upward.

Chubz

beardie":23783 said:
Holy cow! That is REALLY expensive. I thought $0.10 a cricket at the local shops here was a bit much. When I was feeding crickets, I switched to a supplier that would email them in bulk (about 500 at a time), which would last me 1-2 weeks if I cared for them properly. It is WAY more affordable, and not too hard to keep them. I'm not sure about online bulk suppliers for Canada, but I used LLLReptile (but they're based here in California).

As the last poster mentioned, I just went with starting my own roach colony. I had too many cricket escapees, which gets quite annoying (even if the cats like having mobile toys in the house). I went with dubias as they can't crawl glass, can't fly, and don't smell. Not one escapee!

-Alex
I used the same LLLreptile... so far they have been great !! We get 1000 that usually lasts a month or so.

Now i'm just waiting for my dubia colony to get going. Thats funny about the cats because mine take care of all the run aways too lol :D

MAJ

Hatchling Member
Ty13":3b60f said:
I'm in New Brunswick. The closest exoctics shop is an hour and a half away

The mail order/internet is the only way I would consider for your situation. The only other option is breeding your own roaches (very tough to come by in Canada) or superworms (not generally recommended until the dragon gets to be a good size).

Ty13":3b60f said:
I was tihnking on using these lads, http://canadiansilkworms.com/catalog/index.php are they okay?
I have heard good things about both Canadian Silkworms and Canadian Feeders. I think Canadian Feeders had an East Coast distributor at one point, but I don't believe that they do anymore. That would likely have reduced shipping costs for you. Between the two, I would think that my initial choice would come down to the total price of feeders plus shipping, although any feel you can get for customer service would also be useful. I am afraid that I can't help you much in that department, as I have never used either one (as mentioned before, I was lucky enough to be able to get good bulk retail prices. I now raise most of my own).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom